Solving a Spool Problem: Length of Unwound Rope & Distance of CM Movement

In summary: Here is another one of these spool problems: A large spool of rope stands on the ground with the end of the rope lying on the top edge of the spool. A person grabs the end of the rope and walks a distance L, holding onto it. The spool rolls behind the person without slipping. (a) What length of rope unwinds from the spool? (b) How far does the spool's center of mass move?In summary,a) the length of rope unwound from the spool is Lb) the spool's center of mass moves the same distance, but in the opposite direction, as the length of rope unwound.
e(ho0n3
Here is another one of these spool problems: A large spool of rope stands on the ground with the end of the rope lying on the top edge of the spool. A person grabs the end of the rope and walks a distance L, holding onto it. The spool rolls behind the person without slipping. (a) What length of rope unwinds from the spool? (b) How far does the spool's center of mass move?

I really haven't a clue on what to do here. I know there is a torque causing the spool to move, but that doesn't help me much. All I can say for sure is that the answer to (a) must be less than L. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
Forget about torques and forces. If you think about it carefully, it's not hard to see that the distance traveled by the spool CoM is equal to the length of rope unwound.

Picture how the last point of contact (between the spool and rope) is above the center and so moves at the same rate that the spool does.

Gokul43201 said:
Forget about torques and forces. If you think about it carefully, it's not hard to see that the distance traveled by the spool CoM is equal to the length of rope unwound.

Picture how the last point of contact (between the spool and rope) is above the center and so moves at the same rate that the spool does.
I couldn't picture this in my head at all so I drew a picture. I see what you mean now. I can't believe it was so easy. So the answer to both (a) and (b) is L/2. So much for wanting to become a physicist.

e(ho0n3 said:
I couldn't picture this in my head at all so I drew a picture. I see what you mean now. I can't believe it was so easy. So the answer to both (a) and (b) is L/2.

Correct.

So much for wanting to become a physicist.

Everyone trips up now and then...no big deal ! Give yourself a break.

PS : I drew a picture too. In fact, I'd started drawing before I finished reading. No harm in that.

1. What is the length of the unwound rope?

The length of the unwound rope can be determined by measuring the distance from the base of the spool to the end of the rope. This can be done using a ruler or measuring tape.

2. How can I calculate the distance of the center of mass (CM) movement?

The distance of the CM movement can be calculated using the formula: d = I/m, where d is the distance of CM movement, I is the moment of inertia, and m is the mass of the spool. The values for I and m can be obtained by conducting experiments or using mathematical equations.

3. What factors can affect the length of the unwound rope?

The length of the unwound rope can be affected by several factors such as the initial position of the spool, the weight of the rope, the tension on the rope, and any external forces acting on the spool.

4. How does the diameter of the spool affect the distance of CM movement?

The diameter of the spool can affect the distance of CM movement as it impacts the moment of inertia. A larger diameter spool will have a larger moment of inertia and therefore, a smaller distance of CM movement compared to a smaller diameter spool with the same mass.

5. How can I improve the accuracy of my results when solving a spool problem?

To improve the accuracy of your results, it is important to carefully measure and record all relevant variables such as the length of the unwound rope, the diameter and mass of the spool, and any external forces acting on the spool. It is also helpful to repeat the experiment multiple times and take an average of the results to reduce errors. Using more precise measuring tools and conducting the experiment in a controlled environment can also improve accuracy.