Solving the Spool's Acceleration with a Constant Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of the center of mass of a solid cylinder being unwound with a constant force. The formula for finding the acceleration is derived using the parallel axis theorem, but an error in using the torque equation is identified, resulting in the correct formula being 4F/3M. An explanation is provided for why the torque is 2FR instead of just FR.
thenewbosco
Diagram: http://snipurl.com/c8h6

A spool of wire is unwound with a constant force F. The spool is a solid cylinder mass M, radius R, and doesn't slip.
Show the acceleration of the centre of mass is 4F/3M.

what i have done:
[tex] \sum Torque = I\frac{a}{R}[/tex]
[tex] FR=I\frac{a}{R} [/tex]
[tex] \frac{FR^2}{I}=a[/tex]

Now, for I, I used the parallel axis theorem and got
[tex]I=\frac{1}{2}MR^2+ MR^2 = \frac{3}{2}MR^2[/tex]

but plugging into my formula above yields [tex]a=\frac{2F}{3M}[/tex]

how do i get a=4F/3M?

thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
thenewbosco said:
[tex] \sum Torque = I\frac{a}{R}[/tex]
[tex] FR=I\frac{a}{R} [/tex]
Since you are using the point of contact with the floor as your axis of rotation, the torque is 2FR, not FR.

Thank you for your help. Can you explain why the torque is 2FR instead of just FR??

thanks

thenewbosco said:
Can you explain why the torque is 2FR instead of just FR??
Torque is F times the perpendicular distance to the axis. Since the axis you are using is the point of contact with the floor, the distance is 2R, not R. (FR is the torque about the center of mass.)

FAQ: Solving the Spool's Acceleration with a Constant Force

1. What is the purpose of solving the spool's acceleration with a constant force?

The purpose of solving the spool's acceleration with a constant force is to determine the acceleration of the spool when a constant force is applied to it. This can help in understanding the motion of the spool and predicting its movement in different scenarios.

2. How do you calculate the acceleration of the spool with a constant force?

To calculate the acceleration of the spool, you need to divide the constant force applied to the spool by the mass of the spool. This will give you the acceleration in meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. Can the spool's acceleration be affected by factors other than the constant force?

Yes, the spool's acceleration can be affected by other factors such as friction, air resistance, and the shape and weight distribution of the spool. These factors can cause the spool to accelerate differently than predicted by the constant force equation.

4. How can solving the spool's acceleration with a constant force be applied in real-life situations?

Solving the spool's acceleration with a constant force can be applied in various real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of objects on an incline, predicting the movement of objects on a pulley system, and calculating the acceleration of vehicles.

5. Is it necessary to consider the mass of the spool when solving for its acceleration with a constant force?

Yes, the mass of the spool is a crucial factor in calculating its acceleration with a constant force. The larger the mass of the spool, the more force is required to accelerate it at the same rate as a smaller spool. Therefore, the mass must be taken into account to obtain an accurate calculation of the spool's acceleration.