Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spray Nozzles used in the mining processes industry

1. Apr 15, 2014 #1
    I'm testing various nozzles with orifice sizes from 5mm to 40mm. The feed water comes from a hopper that is open to atmosphere into a pump. The pump has a flowmeter at the outlet. Then a pipe feeds the pumped water to the nozzle rig. The nozzle is spraying down onto screen filters. In terms of Bernoulli's theorem,

[itex]\frac{P_{1}}{ρg}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{V_{1}^{2}}{2g}[/itex]+Z1 = [itex]\frac{P_{2}}{ρg}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{V_{2}^{2}}{2g}[/itex]+Z2

is P2 atmospheric pressure or how would I measure this?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It would help if you could post a simple diagram of your test setup showing what you are trying to measure.

4. Jun 24, 2014 #3
    Here is the simple diagram. So we have a pressure reading at the gauge, which is the reading for the larger pipe in which the nozzle screws into. I'm trying to calculate a coefficient of discharge, so can it be said that our pressure at the nozzle will be atmospheric pressure as it is discharging onto a open screen? I do not agree that it is but another engineer thinks this is correct.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook