Statics 2D Equilibrium Problem

In summary, Josh solved the problem by choosing an angular orientation that made determining the location of the center of mass much easier.
J0sh8830

Homework Statement

This is a three step problem (I am not fond of the multi-step problems as I can usually do better without multiple steps. Here is the problem:

A uniform ring of mass m = 10 kg and radius r = 195 mm carries an eccentric mass m0 = 18 kg at a radius b = 160 mm and is in an equilibrium position on the incline, which makes an angle α = 19° with the horizontal. If the contacting surfaces are rough enough to prevent slipping, solve for the angle θ which defines the equilibrium position.
Statics1.jpg

Part 1.) The free-body diagram of the body is shown. Identify the weight W (of the entire structure).

This part was not that difficult, finding the weight of the entire structure is just m(of the entire structure)g or
(28kg)(9.81m/s2). The next part is the step where I am having trouble.

Part 2.) Point G represents the center of mass of the object. Find the distance d between point O and point G.
Statics2.jpg

Homework Equations

[∑Fx=0]
[∑Fy=0]
[∑Mz=0][/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
1.) I drew the free body diagram first, just like was shown in the picture from my homework.
2.) I chose an axes system with G as the origin (my reasoning for this was that I believed this was the only way to solve for d, by summing the moments about point O.) However, this is where I am having some trouble. I think the angle is confusing me and I am not sure how to set up the moment equation. I want to try to work through the problem on my own, but if anyone could tell me if I am on the right track or perhaps point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Josh

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Josh. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Here are some hints:

1. The location of the center of mass is independent of the specific geometry for this problem
2. Choose a convenient angular orientation of the system so that determining the location of the center of mass is much easier
3. Make use of the symmetry of the geometry
4. The line Ob bisects the mass ##m_0##
5. If you split the outer rim along a center line through O, where would the center of mass of each half be located?

Likes J0sh8830
Chestermiller said:
Hi Josh. Welcome to Physics Forums.

Here are some hints:

1. The location of the center of mass is independent of the specific geometry for this problem
2. Choose a convenient angular orientation of the system so that determining the location of the center of mass is much easier
3. Make use of the symmetry of the geometry
4. The line Ob bisects the mass ##m_0##
5. If you split the outer rim along a center line through O, where would the center of mass of each half be located?
Mr. Miller,
Thank you so much for your reply. I was able to solve the problem with your hints. It was a lot easier than I first imagined. I was trying to use too much information when the center of mass of the system and its distance from O were much easier to solve for. Thank you!

Josh

1. What is a 2D equilibrium problem in statics?

A 2D equilibrium problem in statics is a type of problem in physics that involves analyzing forces acting on an object in two dimensions. The goal is to determine whether the object is in a state of static equilibrium, meaning that the sum of all forces acting on the object is equal to zero.

2. How is a 2D equilibrium problem solved?

To solve a 2D equilibrium problem, the first step is to draw a free body diagram of the object, showing all the forces acting on it. Then, using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of static equilibrium, the equations of motion can be set up and solved for the unknown forces or variables.

3. What are the key principles of static equilibrium?

The key principles of static equilibrium include the first condition of equilibrium (sum of all forces in the x direction is equal to zero), the second condition of equilibrium (sum of all forces in the y direction is equal to zero), and the third condition of equilibrium (sum of all torques about any point is equal to zero).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2D equilibrium problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving 2D equilibrium problems include not considering all the forces acting on the object, not using the correct sign conventions for forces and torques, and not properly setting up and solving the equations of motion.

5. Can a 2D equilibrium problem have more than one solution?

Yes, a 2D equilibrium problem can have more than one solution. This can occur when there are multiple unknown forces acting on the object or when the object is in a state of unstable equilibrium, meaning that small changes in the forces can result in different solutions.