1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Spring constant

1. Jun 22, 2015 #1
    < Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Could anyone please correct me if I have any mistake in the following question? It's very important for me to know if I am doing it correctly.

1)
    "Michelle, a technician at a spring manufacturing plant,wants to make determining spring constants for fun. She fires a 0.0100kg bullet at a 500.0g wooden block that is attached to a massless spring;the bullet is traveling at 1000m/s when it strikes the block.The bullet lodges inside the block and the combination compresses the spring by 0.200m before it stops.Determine the spring constant that the technician oils calculate for this spring?"
    CyMH4ft.jpg
    Solution:
    McFKRze.png

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2015 #2
    This looks very well done. My only recommendation is to use numbers more sparingly in your actual work. Use variables and plug in at the very end. It makes it easier to catch mistakes, both for you and for us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted