Calculating Spring Constant for a Mass-Spring System: Technician's Experiment

In summary, Michelle, a technician at a spring manufacturing plant, wants to determine the spring constant for a massless spring by firing a 0.0100kg bullet at a 500.0g wooden block attached to the spring. The bullet, traveling at 1000m/s, lodges inside the block and compresses the spring by 0.200m before stopping. The spring constant can be calculated using this information.
fldk31
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical physics forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Could anyone please correct me if I have any mistake in the following question? It's very important for me to know if I am doing it correctly.

1)
"Michelle, a technician at a spring manufacturing plant,wants to make determining spring constants for fun. She fires a 0.0100kg bullet at a 500.0g wooden block that is attached to a massless spring;the bullet is traveling at 1000m/s when it strikes the block.The bullet lodges inside the block and the combination compresses the spring by 0.200m before it stops.Determine the spring constant that the technician oils calculate for this spring?"
CyMH4ft.jpg

Solution:
McFKRze.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This looks very well done. My only recommendation is to use numbers more sparingly in your actual work. Use variables and plug in at the very end. It makes it easier to catch mistakes, both for you and for us.

Related to Calculating Spring Constant for a Mass-Spring System: Technician's Experiment

What is a spring constant?

A spring constant, also known as a force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. It is typically denoted by the letter k and has units of newtons per meter (N/m).

How is spring constant calculated?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by factors such as the material and geometry of the spring, as well as the temperature and the amount of deformation. In general, stiffer materials and larger springs will have a higher spring constant, while softer materials and smaller springs will have a lower spring constant.

What is the significance of spring constant in physics?

The spring constant is an important concept in physics, particularly in the study of mechanics and energy. It is used to calculate the amount of force exerted by a spring, as well as the potential energy stored in the spring. It also has applications in fields such as engineering and design.

How does the spring constant relate to Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement. This means that the spring constant, which represents the proportionality constant in the equation, is a key factor in understanding the behavior of a spring according to Hooke's Law.