Calculating Speed of Ball Leaving Spring Gun Barrel

In summary: In this equation, kinetic energy is the energy of the motion, potential energy is the energy of the object before the motion, and friction is the energy of the force that opposes the motion. You must subtract the energy of friction to get the final velocity.
sealmap87

Homework Statement

The spring of a spring gun has force constant k = 400 and negligible mass. The spring is compressed 6.00 and a ball with mass 0.0300 is placed in the horizontal barrel against the compressed spring. The spring is then released, and the ball is propelled out the barrel of the gun. The barrel is 6.00 long, so the ball leaves the barrel at the same point that it loses contact with the spring. The gun is held so the barrel is horizontal.

I found the velocity as it leaves the barrel as 6.93 m/s
Then it asks:Calculate the speed of the ball as it leaves the barrel if a constant resisting force of 6.00 N acts on the ball as it moves along the barrel.

I got the 4.9 as the right answer.
Then:For the situation in part B, at what position along the barrel does the ball have the greatest speed? (In this case, the maximum speed does not occur at the end of the barrel.)

And:What is that greatest speed?

Homework Equations

F = -kx
W = 1/2kx2
K = 1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

For finding the first velocity, I used W= 1/2kx2
where x = .06 m, and got it to be .72 J.
Then I set it to 1/2mv2 and got 6.93 m/s, which was right.

For part B, where a 6 N force acts against the bullet I found the work of the force with W = F*D = 6*.06 m = .36
Then I subtracted .36 from .72, which was .36, and set .36 = 1/2mv2, and found the velocity to be 4.9, which was right.

For finding the position along the barrel I tried setting .36 = 1/2kx2, and solving for x, but that didn't work, and without that I can't find the last velocity its asking for. Probably a simple mistake but I can't seem to find where, any ideas?? Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The ball keeps on accelerating when the force of the spring is greater than the force of friction. After that, the friction takes over and the ball decelerates. So you should solve this equation:

[tex]kx = F_{\text{friction}}[/tex]

Thanks, I got the position x where the velocity is greatest, but I still can't get the mac velocity. I tried putting that x value in the spring potential energy equation and setting that equal to the kinetic energy and solving for v, but it said the velocity I got was wrong. This question is bugging me because it should be simple but I seem to keep overlooking something.

The mistake is that you didn't include the energy wasted to overcome frictional forces. To obtain the velocity you must consider

[tex]E_{\text{kinetic}} = E_{\text{potential}} - E_{\text{friction}}[/tex]

1. How do you calculate the speed of a ball leaving a spring gun barrel?

The speed of a ball leaving a spring gun barrel can be calculated using the equation v = √(2kh), where v is the speed of the ball, k is the spring constant, and h is the distance the spring is compressed.

2. What is the spring constant and how does it affect the speed of the ball?

The spring constant is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. It determines how much force is required to compress or stretch the spring. A higher spring constant will result in a faster speed of the ball leaving the barrel.

3. How does the distance the spring is compressed affect the speed of the ball?

The distance the spring is compressed, also known as the compression length, is directly proportional to the speed of the ball. This means that the more the spring is compressed, the faster the ball will travel.

4. Are there other factors that can affect the speed of the ball leaving the spring gun barrel?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the speed of the ball, such as air resistance, the weight of the ball, and the angle at which the gun is fired. These factors may slightly alter the calculated speed, but the formula mentioned in the first question can still be used to get a close estimation.

5. Can the calculated speed of the ball leaving the spring gun barrel be used as the actual speed?

No, the calculated speed is an estimation and may not be the exact speed of the ball. Factors like friction and air resistance may cause the actual speed to be slightly different. However, the calculated speed can still be used for comparison purposes or as an approximation.