How Does Friction Affect Spring Compression on an Incline?

In summary, the conversation discusses a 2.0 kg package being released on a 53.1 degree incline, 4.0 m from a long spring with force constant 120 N/m attached at the bottom of the incline. The coefficient of friction between the package and the incline is given as µs=0.40 and µk=0.20, with the mass of the spring being negligible. The first part of the conversation asks to show that the maximum compression of the spring is 1.06m. This can be solved using the conservation of energy equation -W_{friction} = \Delta U + \Delta K, with the work done by friction being calculated and the change in vertical distance
bignasty
A 2.0 kg package is released on a 53.1◦
incline, 4.0 m from a long spring with force
constant 120 N/m that is attached at the
bottom of the incline. The coefficient of
friction between the package and the incline
are µs=0.40 and µk=0.20. The mass of the
spring is negligible.
a. Show that the maximum
compression of the spring is 1.06m.
b. The package rebounds back up the
incline. Show that the package
comes to rest at a distance 1.32 m
below its initial position.

I'm not even quite sure where to begin on part a, and I don't even understand what they are asking for on part b. For part a, it seems like it might be a conservation of energy problem, but I'm not sure how to set up the equation. Any hints would be greatly appreciated!

Big Nasty

Physics news on Phys.org
As with any conservation of energy problem the following equation will be very useful:

[tex] -W_{friction} = \Delta U + \Delta K[/tex] where U is potential energy and K is kinetic energy

you will have to calculate the work done by friction (force of friction times distance), over the entire distance it travels, and the change in vertical distance(done using the angle), the amount of compression in the spring will also appear in the potential energy of the spring. One good thing about energy though is that the velocity, thus kinetic energy, can be ignored in this since both initial and final kinetic energies are zero.

If you need some more help just ask.

P.s. I worked it out and got 1.06m as the answer for a)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for the hint, I tried it and I got the answer to match what was given in the problem. I appreciate it!

Big Nasty

1. What is the force acting on a spring on an incline?

The force acting on a spring on an incline is the combination of gravity and the force exerted by the spring itself. The force of gravity pulls the spring downwards, while the spring exerts an equal and opposite force in the upward direction.

2. How does the angle of incline affect the spring's behavior?

The angle of incline affects the spring's behavior by changing the direction and magnitude of the gravitational force acting on it. As the angle increases, the component of gravity pulling the spring downwards also increases, making it harder for the spring to compress.

3. Can the spring's natural frequency change when placed on an incline?

Yes, the spring's natural frequency can change when placed on an incline. This is because the effective gravitational force acting on the spring changes, which affects the spring's stiffness and thus its natural frequency.

4. How does the mass of the spring affect its behavior on an incline?

The mass of the spring can affect its behavior on an incline by changing its inertia and resistance to changes in motion. A heavier spring will have a lower natural frequency and may be more difficult to compress on an incline compared to a lighter spring.

5. Is the spring's motion on an incline affected by the surface it is resting on?

Yes, the surface the spring is resting on can affect its motion on an incline. A rough or uneven surface can cause the spring to experience additional friction and resistance, making it harder to compress. A smooth surface, on the other hand, may allow the spring to compress more easily.