Solve Spring Problem: Help for Homework Statement

• Thread starter bulldog23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary: Kinetic energy before collision: Kinetic energy after collision:In summary, the block has a maximum of 6137.5 j when it collides with the spring.
bulldog23

Homework Statement

A moving 1.3 kg block collides with a horizontal spring whose spring constant is 491 N/m.
prob16a_boxwallspr.gif

A) The block compresses the spring a maximum distance of 5.0 cm from its rest postion. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the horizontal surface is 0.49. What is the work done by the spring in bringing the block to rest? REMEMBER: Work has a sign.

B) How much mechanical energy is being dissipated by the force of friction while the block is being brought to rest by the spring?

C) What is the speed of the block when it hits the spring?

Homework Equations

W=F_0*d

The Attempt at a Solution

I am unsure how to approach this problem. If someone could please walk me through it, that would help a lot! My teacher gave us this problem, but we haven't even learned this stuff yet. So please help me out!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take question (A) first. So, when the block collides with the srping it has some kinetic energy, when the block stops it has no kinetic energy. Some of this kinetic energy will be used to do work against friction, what do you think the rest of this kinetic energy will be used for?

Is the rest of the kinetic energy used to hold the spring in place?

bulldog23 said:
Is the rest of the kinetic energy used to hold the spring in place?
Not hold in place, but to compress the spring yes. So, do you know the expression for the potential energy stored in a compressed spring?

Is it F=kx?

bulldog23 said:
Is it F=kx?
Close, that's the force required to compress a spring by xm; how about the energy stored?

PE=1/2kx^2?

bulldog23 said:
PE=1/2kx^2?
Sounds good to me. So, how much potential energy is stored after the block collides with the spring?

So then do I plug in the 491 N/m for k and 5 m for x? If I do that I get 6137.5 J.

bulldog23 said:
So then do I plug in the 491 N/m for k and 5 m for x? If I do that I get 6137.5 J.
The value is correct, but what about the sign?

It should be negative because it is opposing the force of the block, right?

So is that all you have to do for part A?

bulldog23 said:
It should be negative because it is opposing the force of the block, right?
Yes, since the force extered by the spring is in the opposite direction to the direction in which the block is moving, the work is negative.
bulldog23 said:
So is that all you have to do for part A?
Yup. Now for part (B) you do exactly the same, but this time for friction.

It says that the answer for part A is wrong though. Doesn't the coefficient of the kinetic friction play into the problem somewhere?

bulldog23 said:
It says that the answer for part A is wrong though. Doesn't the coefficient of the kinetic friction play into the problem somewhere?
Is this a Webassign problem? Try rounding your answer to 3sf. And no, the spring is still compressed the same amount regardless of friction, therefore, the work done by the spring will be the same.

I tried it again and it said that it was wrong. We must have gone wrong somewhere...

bulldog23 said:
I tried it again and it said that it was wrong. We must have gone wrong somewhere...
Wait, I see what's happened, we've used x = 5m, when actually x = 5cm = 0.05m

I can't believe I missed that.

So then the answer should be -.61375 J ? So then how do I do the same thing with friction for part B?

Last edited:
bulldog23 said:
So then the answer should be -.61375 J ?
Yes, but be careful, web assign is notoriously pedantic about accuracy and rounding, I would say use 3sf or the accuracy it tells you to use in the question.

Alright, it accepted the answer. I am lost when it comes to Part B

bulldog23 said:
Alright, it accepted the answer. I am lost when it comes to Part B
Do you know an expression for the friction force exerted by a surface on an object?

Is it -U_k*mgd?

bulldog23 said:
Is it -U_k*mgd?
I'm afraid not, do any of these look familiar?

Is it F_k=U_k *N?

Last edited:
Oh never mind I got part B. Can you help me with part C though?

So you know that before the block collides with the spring it has some kinetic energy, after it's done work against the friction and the spring, it has no kinetic energy. So the total kinetic energy before the block collides with the spring would be...?

Related to Solve Spring Problem: Help for Homework Statement

What is a "spring problem" in the context of homework?

A "spring problem" in homework refers to a physics problem that involves the use of Hooke's law to solve for the displacement, force, or spring constant of a spring. These problems typically involve a spring that is stretched or compressed and require the use of mathematical equations and principles to find the solution.

What is Hooke's law and how is it used to solve spring problems?

Hooke's law is a principle in physics that states the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to its displacement from its equilibrium position. This means that if a spring is stretched or compressed, the force applied is directly related to the distance it is displaced. In spring problems, Hooke's law is used to set up equations that can be solved to find the desired variables.

What are the key steps to solving a spring problem?

The key steps to solving a spring problem are:

• Identify the variables given in the problem and the desired variable to solve for.
  • Use Hooke's law to set up an equation that relates the given and desired variables.
  • Solve the equation for the desired variable using algebraic manipulation.
  • Check for correct units and significant figures in the final answer.
  • If necessary, use a calculator or other tools to solve for the numerical value of the answer.

How can I check my answer for a spring problem?

You can check your answer for a spring problem by substituting your calculated value into the original equation and ensuring that both sides are equal. Additionally, you can compare your answer to the given values in the problem to check if it is within a reasonable range. It is also helpful to double-check for correct units and significant figures in your final answer.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving spring problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving spring problems are:

• Using the wrong formula or not using Hooke's law at all.
  • Not properly identifying the given and desired variables.
  • Making calculation errors or using incorrect units.
  • Not checking for correct significant figures in the final answer.
  • Forgetting to consider the direction of the force or displacement in the problem.