Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Springs In Series

1. Oct 8, 2003 #1
    Two springs are in series. You know the constants for each individual spring. How do you find the spring constant for the spring system?

|-OOOOO---o---OOOOOOOOOO-| --->F
    In the middle of the spring system (where the "o" is) the net force is zero and we have
    k1x1=k2x2 disregarding sign
    x3 =x2+x1
    but F=k1x1+k2x2

Is this right?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2003 #2
    Looks OK.
    Now try to find a similar expression for N springs..:)
  4. Oct 9, 2003 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Looks to me like you have an extra factor of 2 in there. Springs in series add as Resistors in parallel. So

1/KT = 1/K1+ 1/K2

KT= (K1+K2)/(K1K2)

Also Springs in parallel add as resistors in series.

I do not have time to do the derivation now. Should be able to post it later to day. A key is that in the series case the force seen by each spring is equal, while in the parallel case the extensions are equal.
  5. Oct 9, 2003 #4
    Ah, I see my mistake. I have F=k1x1+k2x2 but F=k2x1=k1x1. I need to be more careful.
  6. Oct 9, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

OK, that looks better!
    Here is my derivation. As long as I was at it I did the case for parallel springs also.

BTW: it would be trivial to extend this to multiple springs.
  7. Oct 9, 2003 #6
    Thank you, Integral. I have put your work into my physics notebook (hope you don't mind).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?