What is the Notation for Sqrt(x^2) and (Sqrt x)^2 in Complex Numbers?

• Thread starter Ali Asadullah
  • Start date
In summary, the first expression, Sqrt(x^2), is defined for all real numbers and is equal to |x|. The second expression, (sqrt(x))^2, is only defined for x >= 0 and is not equal to the first expression. Additionally, the imaginary number "i" is not defined as the square root of -1, but rather as a quantity such that i^2=-1. There are different ways to define this quantity, but it is not equivalent to the square root of -1. Some textbooks may use the notation of sqrt(-1) instead of i, but this is not as widely used and should only be used after i has been defined rigorously.
Ali Asadullah
Please tell me
Sqrt (x^2)=______ For All Real Numbers
(Sqrt x^2)=______ For All Real Numbers
Thank YOu..!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Ali Asadullah said:
Please tell me
Sqrt (x^2)=______ For All Real Numbers
(Sqrt x^2)=______ For All Real Numbers
Thank YOu..!
The first one is defined for all real numbers.
For the second one, I think you mean this: (sqrt(x))2. If so, that is defined for x >= 0.

Thank You Mark44
Please also tell me whether they are equal to each other or not?

The first one is equal to |x| by the way...

Ali Asadullah said:
Thank You Mark44
Please also tell me whether they are equal to each other or not?

The second one is not defined for negative numbers, so seeing whether they are equal has no sense.
The two are equal for POSITIVE numbers though...

Sorry Second one was actually (sqrt x)^2.
Sir if this is not defined, then how we define iota?

Doesn't matter, Sqrt(x) is only defined for negative numbers.

What is iota?

Oh, you mean i, right? Well, i is certainly not defined as [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex], that would be a very bad definition. Instead i is defined as a quantity such that [tex]i^2=-1[/tex]. But how do we define this rigourously?

Well, we can see the set of all complex numbers as [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex] and we define an addition and a multiplication on that as

[tex](a,b)+(c,d)=(a+b,c+d)~\text{and}~(a,b)\cdot (c,d)=(ac-bd, bc+ad)[/tex]

Then i is defined as (0,1).

This is the simplest construction of the complex numbers, another one would be as the quotient [tex]\mathbb{R}[X]/(X^2+1)[/tex] or as a matrix group which consist of the numbers

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} a & -b\\ b & a\end{array}\right)[/tex].

But i is certainly NOT defined as the square root of -1...

Sir let (sqrt x)^2=x
And substitute x=-1, then we would have (i)^2=-1.
Is it right?

i might also be defined as the root of x^2+1=0, in this case it is defined as the sqrt of -1.

Ali Asadullah said:
Sir let (sqrt x)^2=x
And substitute x=-1, then we would have (i)^2=-1.
Is it right?

No, this is not correct since [tex]\sqrt{-1}\neq i[/tex], for the simple reason that [tex]\sqrt{x}[/tex] is only defined for POSITIVE values of x.

You COULD make sense of things like [tex]\sqrt{-1}[/tex], but like I mentioned in the other thread, this is not standard notation.

I have seen such notation of \sqrt(-1) in textbooks which use for indices also i and j.

It's really a matter of notation.
For example Principles of Algebraic Geometry by Harris uses \sqrt(-1) instead of i.

well, the sqrt notation is "abused" all the time. Another example is writing sqrt(T) as a positive sqrt of a positive operator

MathematicalPhysicist said:
I have seen such notation of \sqrt(-1) in textbooks which use for indices also i and j.

It's really a matter of notation.
For example Principles of Algebraic Geometry by Harris uses \sqrt(-1) instead of i.

I see, if even the great Griffiths & Harris do it, then it appears that I'm incorrect. It's still not as widely used as i and j, but apparently it's been used quite a lot...

Thank you for your example!

Yes, you will see that notation, but you should use it only after you have defined "i" more rigorously (and many elementary text,which are concerned with calculations, not rigor, don't do that). One difficulty with even writing "[itex]i= \sqrt{-1}[/itex]" is that while in the real numbers we can define [itex]\sqrt{a}[/itex] to be the positive number such that its square is a, the complex number are not an "ordered" field so we cannot distinguish between the two square roots of a number so easily.

What is the difference between Sqrt(x^2) and (Sqrt x)^2?

Sqrt(x^2) represents the square root of the entire expression x^2. This means that any negative value of x will result in a positive value for Sqrt(x^2). On the other hand, (Sqrt x)^2 represents the square of the square root of x. This means that any negative value of x will remain negative when squared.

Why do we need to use parentheses in (Sqrt x)^2?

The use of parentheses in (Sqrt x)^2 is important because it indicates that the square root operation is being applied to x before it is squared. Without the parentheses, the equation would be interpreted as Sqrt(x) squared, which is mathematically incorrect.

What is the domain of Sqrt(x^2) and (Sqrt x)^2?

The domain of both expressions is all real numbers. This means that any real number can be substituted for x and the expressions will still be valid.

Can Sqrt(x^2) and (Sqrt x)^2 have different values?

Yes, they can have different values. This is because the expressions are not equivalent. Sqrt(x^2) simplifies to the absolute value of x, while (Sqrt x)^2 simplifies to just x. Therefore, their values will only be the same when x is a non-negative number.

How can we simplify Sqrt(x^2) and (Sqrt x)^2?

Sqrt(x^2) can be simplified to the absolute value of x and (Sqrt x)^2 can be simplified to just x. However, if we want to simplify further, we can substitute in a value for x and evaluate the expressions. For example, if x = 9, then Sqrt(x^2) = 9 and (Sqrt x)^2 = 9. Therefore, both expressions simplify to the same value of 9.