Calculating Percentage of Semi-Circle Outside Inscribed Square

In summary, a square of maximum area is inscribed in a semi-circle and the percentage of the circle that is outside the square can be found by dividing the area of the square by the area of the circle. The side length of the square can be determined using the Pythagorean theorem and the relationship between the side length and radius of the circle.
um0123

Homework Statement

A square of maximum area is inscribed in a semi-circle as shown.
What percent (rounded to the nearest tenth) of the circle is outside the square.

Circle is centered at C.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to begin solving this since i can't get the radius of the circle or the side lengths of the square. A square of maximum area mean that it is the biggest it can possibly be inside the semi-circle without going out, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
um0123 said:
I don't know how to begin solving this since i can't get the radius of the circle or the side lengths of the square. A square of maximum area mean that it is the biggest it can possibly be inside the semi-circle without going out, right?

I don't think that you need the actual radius of the circle to solve this problem: Just let the radius have length [itex]r[/itex]. Now, looking at your diagram, extend two line segments of length [itex]r[/itex] from [itex]C[/itex] to the far corners of the square. What do you notice about these new triangles that might help you solve for the side length of the square?

the hypotenuse of each triangle is r, but the center triangle has two length r's. Is the center equilateral? If it then the length of the bottom sides of each side triangle would be 1/2 r. But how do i prove that the center one is equilateral?

Also, if the middle one is equilateral, the bottom sides are 1/2 r, making both sides a 30-60-90 triangle making the last side of the two triangles on the side (r *sqrt(3))

i just looked up properties of squares and it said that if two sides are equal the last side is r√2.

that wouild mean the bottom sides of both side riangles are (r√2)/2. Which complies with the 30 60 90 triangle but would mean the last side is (r√2*√3) which is r√6.

But if all that is true, how do i solve for the percentage covered.

I can't make sense of what you posted, sorry! Alright, from the modified diagram you drew, you should have found that one of the triangles had hypotenuse [itex]r[/itex] and side lengths [itex]s[/itex] and [itex]\frac{s}{2}[/itex] if [itex]s[/itex] is the side length of the square. Can you think of a formula that relates the sides of a right triangle?

To find the percent covered you need only divide the area of the square and the area of the circle. However, notice that the problem asks to find the percentage that is uncovered.

[tex]\frac{s}{2}^2 + s^2 = r^2[/tex]

but i don't see how that helps find the area.

First, your equation should read:

[tex]\frac{s^2}{4} + s^2 = s^2(1 + \frac{1}{4}) = r^2[/tex]

Now, since [itex]s[/itex] is the side length of the square, then [itex]s^2 = A[/itex]. Does that help?

so the area of each side triangle is [tex]\frac{r^2}{1+\frac{1}{4}}[/tex]

what about the middle triangle?

EDIT: wait since i know the middle triangle has a base of S and a height of S can't i just say it is [tex]1/2s^2[/tex]

but i still don't understand how to use these areas to find the percent covered

Last edited:
wait, how do i solve:

[tex](\pi~r^2) - (2(\frac{r^2}{1+\frac{1}{4}}) + \frac{1}{2}s^2)[/tex]

augh, i have no idea where I am going! please help someone!

Alright, I'm back now! So from my previous hint you should know that [itex]A_{square} = s^2[/itex] and [itex]5s^2 = 4r^2[/itex], where [itex]A_{square}[/itex] is the area of the square, [itex]r[/itex] is the radius length, and [itex]s[/itex] is the side length of the square.

Now, the area of a circle is given by [itex]A_{circle} = \pi r^2[/itex]. The percentage of the area covered by the square is then [itex]A_{square}/A_{circle}[/itex]. Can you take it from there?

yea, thanks for all your help.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the square of maximum area?

The formula for finding the square of maximum area is to take the length of one side and multiply it by itself: A = s x s, where A is the area and s is the length of one side.

2. How do you know when a square has the maximum area?

A square has the maximum area when all four sides are equal in length. This means that the shape is symmetrical and has the same length for both the width and length.

3. How do you find the side length of a square with the maximum area?

To find the side length of a square with the maximum area, you can use the formula A = s x s, where A is the area and s is the length of one side. Set the area to the desired value, and solve for s using algebraic methods.

4. Can a rectangle have the maximum area?

No, a rectangle cannot have the maximum area. A square is the only shape that can have the maximum area because it is both a rectangle and a parallelogram, meaning it has equal sides and angles.

5. How is the square of maximum area used in real life?

The concept of the square of maximum area is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics. It helps designers and engineers determine the most efficient use of space while maintaining structural stability. In mathematics, it is used to solve optimization problems and find the maximum or minimum values of equations.