1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Square root of a square plus 1

1. Dec 31, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove that if n is a natural number greater than 0, then sqrt(n^2 + 1) is not a natural number.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't tell if I am right, which probably means that I am not.

Assume sqrt(n^2+1) is a natural number. Then there is a natural number j such that j = sqrt(n^2+1). Thus
    j^2 = n^2 + 1. Then, I am stuck.
    It seems too easy to prove, is there some little trick I am missing.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2008 #2

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What is (j+1)2?

4. Dec 31, 2008 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]\sqrt{n^2+1}= m[/itex] then [itex]n^2+ 1= m^2[/itex]. Now, what can you say about [itex]n^2- m^2[/itex]?

5. Dec 31, 2008 #4
    [itex] n^2 - m^2 = -1 [/itex] Which gives me a contradiction because this can only happen when n=0 and m =1, and the problem assumes n is strictly > 0.

Did I get it?

If so, then thank you!

6. Dec 31, 2008 #5
    Well, yeah, i think that should be right.

However, i would be inclined to proceede this way:

[tex]m^2-n^2=1=>(m-n)(m+n)=1[/tex] Then since both m, n are supposed to be integers(natural nrs) then the only possible way for this to be true is if:

[tex]m-n=m+n=1[/tex]

or

[tex]m-n=m+n=-1[/tex]

Because, we know that the only numbers that have inverses in Z are 1 and -1.

From the firs eq we get:m=1, n=0, which is a contradiction since the hypothesis says, n>0

From the second: m=-1 and n=0.

Which is again not possible.

7. Dec 31, 2008 #6

jgens

Gold Member

Possibly another way of going about it:

We begin with some number n∈N, we may then claim n^2∈N. We now want to prove that √(n^2+1) ∉N. We do this by defining the next natural number m by m=(n+1); hence, m^2=(n+1)^2= n^2+2n+1. Therefore n^2<n^2+1<m^2 ∀n>0, proving that √(n^2+1) ∉N. Q.E.D.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?