Square root of negative complex exponential

In summary, when finding the principal square root of a complex number, you need to use the formula ##\sqrt{z} = re^{i\theta/2}## with ##-\pi < \theta \leq \pi##, and consider both possible values for θ in the case of a negative number.
amalak

Homework Statement

Solve [itex]\sqrt{-e^{(i2\pi)/3}}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I seem to be missing something simple, as I take:

[itex]\sqrt{-1}[/itex] = i

then,

[itex]e^{(1/2)*(i2\pi)/3}[/itex]

which comes out as: [itex]ie^{i\pi/3}[/itex]

however, the solution is:

[itex]-ie^{i\pi/3}[/itex], and I can't seem to see where that negative is coming from. Any direction would be great, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The rule sqrt(a*b)=sqrt(a)*sqrt(b) isn't valid for complex numbers.
Consider sqrt((-1)*(-1))=sqrt(-1)*sqrt(-1)=i*i=(-1) which is incorrect, obviously.

You want to find the principal square root, which is defined to be ##\sqrt{z} = re^{i\theta/2}## when you have ##z = re^{i\theta}## with ##-\pi < \theta \le \pi##. You just need to find the correct ##\theta## for your case.

So in this case, the correct θ is not [itex] \pi/3 [/itex]? Since, we're trying to solve [itex] \theta/2 [/itex], wouldn't [itex] (2\pi/3)/2 = \pi/3 [/itex] be in our desired range? Also, how would I handle the -1 in this case if that rule is not valid for complex numbers?\

I think I solved this:

[itex] -e^{(i2\pi)/3} = e^{-i\pi/3} [/itex], then [itex] \sqrt{e^{-i\pi/3}} = e^{-i\pi/6}[/itex], as desired. This required De Moivre's formula, is there another way to go about this solution?

Last edited:
$$e^{-i\pi/6} = (-i^2)e^{-i\pi/6} = -i(ie^{-i\pi/6}) = \cdots$$

The square root of a complex number has two solutions.

The attachment will help you

Attachments

• SquareRoot.JPG
    SquareRoot.JPG
    2.1 KB · Views: 392
Last edited:

1. What is the square root of a negative complex exponential?

The square root of a negative complex exponential is a mathematical concept that involves taking the square root of a number that is expressed in the form of a complex exponential, i.e., a number raised to the power of another complex number.

2. Is it possible to take the square root of a negative complex exponential?

Yes, it is possible to take the square root of a negative complex exponential. However, the answer will be a complex number, and there are some rules and techniques that need to be followed to find the correct answer.

3. What is the general formula for finding the square root of a negative complex exponential?

The general formula for finding the square root of a negative complex exponential is √(re^iθ) = √r * e^(iθ/2), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the argument or angle of the complex number.

4. Can the square root of a negative complex exponential have multiple solutions?

Yes, the square root of a negative complex exponential can have multiple solutions, and these solutions are known as the principal square root and the secondary square root. To find all the solutions, the complex number must be expressed in polar form and the angle must be divided by 2.

5. How is the square root of a negative complex exponential used in real-life applications?

The square root of a negative complex exponential is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. It is used to solve equations involving complex numbers and to model and analyze systems with oscillatory behavior, such as electrical circuits and electromagnetic waves.