Exploring the Equality of Square Roots: A Basic Question

In summary, the first equation, $\sqrt[3]{(1+x^{3})^{2}}=(1+x^{3})^{^{\frac{2}{3}}}$, is equal because it involves a cubic root, which is defined for all real numbers. The second equation, $\sqrt{(x-2)^{3}}\neq (x-2)^{\frac{3}{2}}$, is not always equal because it involves a square root, which is not defined for negative real numbers. While it may seem that mathematics is contradicting itself, the subtlety lies in the fact that operations are defined for nonnegative real numbers. When considering negative real numbers, the order of operations must be taken into account
Yankel
Hi,

I have a very basic question that suddenly hit me regarding square roots.

Why this is equal
\[\sqrt[3]{(1+x^{3})^{2}}=(1+x^{3})^{^{\frac{2}{3}}}\]

but this isn't

\[\sqrt{(x-2)^{3}}\neq (x-2)^{\frac{3}{2}}\]

(well according to Maple it isn't)

I understand why the first one is correct, but I assumed to believe that also the second one is equal and now I am confused.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hi,

I have a very basic question that suddenly hit me regarding square roots.

Why this is equal
\[\sqrt[3]{(1+x^{3})^{2}}=(1+x^{3})^{^{\frac{2}{3}}}\]

but this isn't

\[\sqrt{(x-2)^{3}}\neq (x-2)^{\frac{3}{2}}\]

(well according to Maple it isn't)

I understand why the first one is correct, but I assumed to believe that also the second one is equal and now I am confused.
Wolfram Alpha has no problem with it. (Note though that there is an issue when x - 2 < 0. I don't know why.)

-Dan

They are equal when $(x-2)^3 \geq 0$, but that is not defined for all $x \in \mathbb{R}$.

Consider $\sqrt{(-1)^6}$. What is the result of this operation? If you work inside out, you'll get $$\sqrt{(-1)^6} = \sqrt{1} = 1.$$ On the other hand, if you apply the exponents rule, you get $$\sqrt{(-1)^6} = (-1)^{\frac{6}{2}} = (-1)^3 = -1.$$ Is mathematics contradicting itself? Could our whole world be CRUMBLING BEFORE THE MIGHT OF EXPONENTIATION? Not really. The subtlety is that the operations are defined for nonnegative real numbers, letting the theory work smoothly. When we take in account negative real numbers as well, we take the order exponentiation - root to enable such operations.

In some cases it is not even possible to do so: in the real numbers there is no thing as $\sqrt{(-1)^5}$ because it is not defined.

Hope this has helped. Cheers! :D

topsquark said:
(Note though that there is an issue when x - 2 < 0. I don't know why.)

-Dan

What would a calculator make of $(-1)^{0.66667}$?

Oh, and my favorite:
$$-1=(-1)^{\frac 23 \cdot \frac 32}=((-1)^{\frac 23})^{\frac 32}=1^{\frac 32}=1$$

EDIT: Ah, Fantini was quicker than me!

Last edited:
Thank you, but if the issue here is the expression under the square root being positive or negative, then how come the first expression is equal ?

1+x^3 is not positive for every x in R, and yet, Maple seem to think it's Ok.

You used the right term: square root. What you have first is a cubic root, which is defined for all real numbers. :D

1. What is the purpose of exploring the equality of square roots?

The purpose of exploring the equality of square roots is to understand the relationship between different square root values and how they can be compared and expressed in different forms.

2. What is the basic question being addressed in this exploration?

The basic question being addressed is whether two square root expressions are equal or not.

3. How is the equality of square roots determined?

The equality of square roots is determined by simplifying the expressions and comparing the resulting values. If they are equal, then the square roots are also equal.

4. What are the different forms in which square roots can be expressed?

Square roots can be expressed in radical form (√x), decimal form (x^0.5), or as a fraction (x^(1/2)).

5. Why is it important to understand the equality of square roots?

Understanding the equality of square roots is important in solving mathematical equations and simplifying expressions. It also lays the foundation for understanding more complex mathematical concepts involving square roots.