Can a Square be Dissected into a Cube with Fewer Pieces?

In summary, a person discovered a geometric dissection they had done a long time ago and were able to redraw it. The task was to use 4 pieces to create an unfolded cube from a square. The question remains if it can be done with even fewer pieces.
Helios
TL;DR Summary
A Square to Unfolded Cube Geometric Dissection
Dear Recreational Geometry People,
I recovered a thing I did very long ago from a drawing of mine that I fortunately just found again. With some effort I was able reconstruct what I did and redraw it. It is a geometric dissection. The task is to slice up a square and use those pieces to make a unfolded "net" for a cube. I did it in just 4 pieces!

cubenet.jpg

Likes bob012345, mfb and Ibix
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Helios said:
Summary:: A Square to Unfolded Cube Geometric Dissection

Dear Recreational Geometry People,
I recovered a thing I did very long ago from a drawing of mine that I fortunately just found again. With some effort I was able reconstruct what I did and redraw it. It is a geometric dissection. The task is to slice up a square and use those pieces to make a unfolded "net" for a cube. I did it in just 4 pieces!

View attachment 268201
Very nice! Can it be done in less?

Last edited:

What is a Square to Cube Dissection?

A Square to Cube Dissection is a mathematical puzzle in which a square is divided into smaller squares and rearranged to form a cube.

How is a Square to Cube Dissection solved?

The solution involves dividing the original square into smaller squares that can be rearranged to form a cube. This is usually done by creating a cross shape within the square and then dividing the remaining space into smaller squares.

Is it possible to solve any square to cube dissection?

Yes, it is possible to solve any square to cube dissection using the proper techniques. However, some puzzles may be more challenging than others.

What are some real-world applications of Square to Cube Dissections?

Square to Cube Dissections have practical applications in fields such as architecture and packaging design, where it is important to efficiently use space and create 3D shapes from 2D materials.

Are there variations of the Square to Cube Dissection puzzle?

Yes, there are different variations of the puzzle, such as using different shapes or dividing the square into different numbers of smaller squares. These variations can make the puzzle more challenging and interesting.