Can Squaring Integrals Simplify Calculus Problems?

• Thread starter Ibraheem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of squaring a definite integral and whether it is equivalent to integrating twice. A simple example function is given and it is concluded that the two are not always equal. The conversation then explores the possibility of it being true for certain functions and limits of integration. Further discussion leads to the use of calculus of variations and a specific example of solving the Poisson integral using this concept.
Ibraheem
Hello,

When I recently was studying for my calculus I's rules of definite integrals, I was wondering if squaring a definite integral would be the same as integrating twice like in the following:( Definite integral of f(x) from a to b)^2 = definite integral ,from a to b, of the definite integral of f(x) from a to b)

Physics news on Phys.org
Ibraheem said:
Hello,

When I recently was studying for my calculus I's rules of definite integrals, I was wondering if squaring a definite integral would be the same as integrating twice like in the following:( Definite integral of f(x) from a to b)^2 = definite integral ,from a to b, of the definite integral of f(x) from a to b)

Did you think to try this with an example function f(x)?

Simplest example f(x)=x.

Yes, It is clearer now.

( Definite integral of f(x) from a to b)^2 does not equal definite integral ,from a to b, of the definite integral of f(x) from a to b)

It may be interesting to figure out if it is ever actually true. But it is a hard problem, considering all possible functions and all possible limits of integration. Seems maybe an issue of calculus of variations?

How does this make sense? The RHS is "definite integral ,from a to b, of the definite integral of f(x) from a to b)"
which equals definite integral, from a to b, of a constant.

A constant is a continuous function, which can be Riemann-integrated: ##\int_a^b C dx=C(b-a) ##

ok then so letting Integral[a,b] f(x)dx =C, the problem is equivalent to C^2= C(b-a) and hence C=0 or b-a

Yes, seems right.

Hmm I think i saw something like what you're saying once.. a way of solving the poisson integral by squaring it... It was something like I^2=Integral [minus, plus infinity] e^(-x^2)dx times same thing but with y instead of x... then you get integral [minus,plux] of integral [minus,plus] of e^-(x^2+y^2)dxdy which is an integral over the whole xy plane... and so you can change to polar coordinates and you easily get the result for that integral which is pi... so there you have it.. I squared is pi, therefor I is the square root of pi..

Related to Can Squaring Integrals Simplify Calculus Problems?

What is "Calculus: Squaring Integrals"?

"Calculus: Squaring Integrals" is a mathematical concept that involves using the integral function to find the area under a curve and then squaring that value.

Why is "Calculus: Squaring Integrals" important?

"Calculus: Squaring Integrals" is important because it allows us to solve a variety of complex problems, such as finding the volume of irregular objects or calculating the work done by a varying force.

What is the difference between a definite and indefinite integral?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. A definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a function.

How do you solve a "Calculus: Squaring Integral"?

To solve a "Calculus: Squaring Integral", you first need to find the indefinite integral of the function. Then, you can use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate the definite integral by plugging in the limits of integration and subtracting the values at those points.

What are some real-life applications of "Calculus: Squaring Integrals"?

"Calculus: Squaring Integrals" has many real-life applications, such as calculating the area of a field for farming, determining the amount of material needed for construction projects, and finding the center of mass for objects with varying densities.