Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeeze Theorem

1. Sep 18, 2007 #1
    Hey could someone explain the squeeze theorem to me a little; I understand you want 2 equations that "squeeze" another one into between them sothat you can find they're limits and find the equations limit but how do you find the 2 equations that squeeze the original one in?
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2007 #2
    There's no general way of finding two functions that satisfy the criteria...
    You just want to find two functions [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]h[/tex] such that:
    [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)=lim_{x\rightarrow a}h(x)[/tex] and
    [tex]g(x)\leq f(x) \leq h(x)[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] within ssome neighbourhood of [tex]a[/tex]. Then, the squeeze theorem tells you that the limit those two have at [tex]a[/tex] is the same as the limit [tex]f[/tex] has at [tex]a[/tex].
    Like I said-- the choice of your [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]h[/tex] is completely arbitrary-- you just want them to satisfy those conditions.
    Sometimes, e.g. when you have [tex]\frac{1}{x}sin(x)[/tex], boundedness helps. Observe:
    [tex]-1 \leq sin(x) \leq 1[/tex] (Property of the sine function)
    This implies [tex]-\frac{1}{x} \leq \frac{1}{x} sin(x) \leq \frac{1}{x}[/tex]. (Whenever [tex]x>0[/tex])
    As you can see, the limit as [tex]x\rightarrow \infty[/tex] of the left and right hand sides of the inequality match and equal 0, and so the limit of the function [tex]\frac{1}{x} sin(x)[/tex] is 0. This is a classic application of the squeeze theorem.
    I hope that helped.
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    I get that part of it, but my question is on the 2nd part of the squeeze theorem.

It states abs(g(x))<=M for all x not zero.
    then lim f(x) x g(x)=0 as X--> a. Can someone show me the proof to this part and explain it. The book shows no further information and I'm confused as to what it means.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?