Understanding the Squeeze Theorem: Finding Equations that "Squeeze" Together

• Thread starter physstudent1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the squeeze theorem is a mathematical theorem that helps us find the limit of a function by "squeezing" it between two other functions that have the same limit at a specific point. To find these two functions, g and h, we just need to make sure that they satisfy the criteria of having the same limit and containing the original function within a certain neighborhood of the point. The choice of g and h is arbitrary, but sometimes it helps to use bounded functions.The second part of the squeeze theorem states that if we have a function f(x) and two other functions g(x) and h(x) that satisfy the criteria of the squeeze theorem, and we also have the additional condition that abs(g(x)) <= M
physstudent1
Hey could someone explain the squeeze theorem to me a little; I understand you want 2 equations that "squeeze" another one into between them sothat you can find they're limits and find the equations limit but how do you find the 2 equations that squeeze the original one in?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's no general way of finding two functions that satisfy the criteria...
You just want to find two functions [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]h[/tex] such that:
[tex]lim_{x\rightarrow a}g(x)=lim_{x\rightarrow a}h(x)[/tex] and
[tex]g(x)\leq f(x) \leq h(x)[/tex] for all [tex]x[/tex] within ssome neighbourhood of [tex]a[/tex]. Then, the squeeze theorem tells you that the limit those two have at [tex]a[/tex] is the same as the limit [tex]f[/tex] has at [tex]a[/tex].
Like I said-- the choice of your [tex]g[/tex] and [tex]h[/tex] is completely arbitrary-- you just want them to satisfy those conditions.
Sometimes, e.g. when you have [tex]\frac{1}{x}sin(x)[/tex], boundedness helps. Observe:
[tex]-1 \leq sin(x) \leq 1[/tex] (Property of the sine function)
This implies [tex]-\frac{1}{x} \leq \frac{1}{x} sin(x) \leq \frac{1}{x}[/tex]. (Whenever [tex]x>0[/tex])
As you can see, the limit as [tex]x\rightarrow \infty[/tex] of the left and right hand sides of the inequality match and equal 0, and so the limit of the function [tex]\frac{1}{x} sin(x)[/tex] is 0. This is a classic application of the squeeze theorem.
I hope that helped.

I get that part of it, but my question is on the 2nd part of the squeeze theorem.

It states abs(g(x))<=M for all x not zero.
then lim f(x) x g(x)=0 as X--> a. Can someone show me the proof to this part and explain it. The book shows no further information and I'm confused as to what it means.

1. What is the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem, also known as the Sandwich Theorem or the Pinching Theorem, is a mathematical theorem that helps to determine the limit of a function by using the limits of two other functions that "squeeze" it from both sides.

2. How is the Squeeze Theorem used to find equations that "squeeze" together?

The Squeeze Theorem is used to find equations that "squeeze" together by identifying two functions, one that is always greater than the function in question and one that is always less than the function in question. By taking the limit of these two functions as they approach the same value, we can determine the limit of the function in between them.

3. What are the conditions for using the Squeeze Theorem?

The Squeeze Theorem can be used if the two "squeezing" functions have the same limit as they approach the value in question, and if the function in between is also approaching the same limit. Additionally, all functions involved must be defined and continuous on the interval in question.

4. Can the Squeeze Theorem be used for any type of function?

Yes, the Squeeze Theorem can be used for any type of function as long as the conditions mentioned in the previous answer are met. It is particularly useful for finding limits of functions that are difficult to evaluate directly.

5. Are there any limitations to the Squeeze Theorem?

While the Squeeze Theorem is a powerful tool for determining limits, it may not always be applicable. If the two "squeezing" functions do not have the same limit as they approach the value in question, or if the function in between is not approaching the same limit, the Squeeze Theorem cannot be used. Additionally, it may not work for functions with discontinuities or infinite limits.