Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Squeezed states H.O problem

1. Nov 3, 2012 #1
    I'm working on a problem with a Harmonic oscillator which suddenly goes from the frequency ω_a to ω_b and I'm trying to find the expansion coefficients in

[tex] |0 \rangle _a = \sum_{n = 0}^\infty \alpha_n |n\rangle _b [/tex]

where |0>_a is the ground state right before the change in frequency. The raising and lowering operators of the oscillators with different frequency are related by

[tex] a = cb + sb^\dagger, \quad a^\dagger = sb + cb^\dagger[/tex]
    and
    [tex]b=ca - sa^\dagger, \quad a^\dagger = - sa + ca^\dagger [/tex]

and they can also be expressed as related by the unitary transformation

[tex]U = e^{-\frac{\xi}{2}(a^2 - (a^\dagger)^2)} = e^{\frac{\xi}{2}(b^2 - (a^\dagger)^b)}.[/tex]

where [itex]s = \sinh \xi, \quad c = \cosh \xi[/itex]. I tried to find the coefficients by observing that

[tex]\alpha_n = \langle n|_b 0\rangle_a = \langle 0|_b \frac{b^n}{\sqrt{n!}}|0\rangle_a[/tex]

but I failed to proceed from here. The correct answer is supposed to be that

[tex]\alpha_{2n} = (-\frac{s}{2c})^n \frac{\sqrt{2n!}}{n!} \alpha_0[/tex]

and

[tex]\alpha_0^{-2}= \sum_{n=0}^\infty (\frac{s}{2c})^{2n}\frac{(2n)!}{(n!)^2}.[/tex]

Could someone help me in showing these results? :)

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted