1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    I have a system transfer function

H(s) = 1/(e^s + 10)

This system has both poles and zeros at infinity and -infinity.

Can anybody tell me if this is a stable system. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You must show your own work before we can help you. You know that.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

As shown H(s) has no zeros, and it has a pole at e^s=-10, not at +/-infinity

5. Jan 7, 2009 #4
    e^s = -10 is the pole. You cannot solve this equation. ln(-10) does not exist. That is why i concluded the pole is at infinity. Is my conclusion wrong?

6. Jan 7, 2009 #5
    Yes you can solve it. The solutions are complex. One solution is s = i*pi+Ln(10)

7. Jan 7, 2009 #6
    So the pole is at 2.3 (ln 10) +j 3.14. SO this is an unstable system. Am I correct? Also fourier transform does not exist for this am I right? Since it not abolutely integrable within - infinity and infinity.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

9. Jan 8, 2009 #8

CEL

As The Electrician said, this is ONE of the solutions. There is an infinity of them, in the form ln(10) + j(2k+1)pi.

10. Jan 9, 2009 #9
    So stability depends om the value of k? Can somebody point me to a good link which teaches how to solve equations like e^x = -a;

11. Jan 10, 2009 #10

CEL

k is an integer variable that can take any value between minus infinity and plus infinity. Since for an infinity of values of k the poles lie on the RHP, the system is unstable.
    For an explanation on solving your equation see
    http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/61830.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?