Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity

1. Jan 7, 2009 #1
    I have a system transfer function

H(s) = 1/(e^s + 10)

This system has both poles and zeros at infinity and -infinity.

Can anybody tell me if this is a stable system. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2009 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You must show your own work before we can help you. You know that.

4. Jan 7, 2009 #3

mheslep

Gold Member

As shown H(s) has no zeros, and it has a pole at e^s=-10, not at +/-infinity

5. Jan 7, 2009 #4
    e^s = -10 is the pole. You cannot solve this equation. ln(-10) does not exist. That is why i concluded the pole is at infinity. Is my conclusion wrong?

6. Jan 7, 2009 #5

The Electrician

Gold Member

Yes you can solve it. The solutions are complex. One solution is s = i*pi+Ln(10)

7. Jan 7, 2009 #6
    So the pole is at 2.3 (ln 10) +j 3.14. SO this is an unstable system. Am I correct? Also fourier transform does not exist for this am I right? Since it not abolutely integrable within - infinity and infinity.

8. Jan 7, 2009 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

9. Jan 8, 2009 #8

CEL

As The Electrician said, this is ONE of the solutions. There is an infinity of them, in the form ln(10) + j(2k+1)pi.

10. Jan 9, 2009 #9
    So stability depends om the value of k? Can somebody point me to a good link which teaches how to solve equations like e^x = -a;

11. Jan 10, 2009 #10

CEL

k is an integer variable that can take any value between minus infinity and plus infinity. Since for an infinity of values of k the poles lie on the RHP, the system is unstable.
    For an explanation on solving your equation see
    http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/61830.html

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook