Stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity

In summary: For an explanation on solving your equation seeIn summary, the system is unstable and has a pole at e^s=-10.
purplebird
I have a system transfer function

H(s) = 1/(e^s + 10)

This system has both poles and zeros at infinity and -infinity.

Can anybody tell me if this is a stable system. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You must show your own work before we can help you. You know that.

As shown H(s) has no zeros, and it has a pole at e^s=-10, not at +/-infinity

e^s = -10 is the pole. You cannot solve this equation. ln(-10) does not exist. That is why i concluded the pole is at infinity. Is my conclusion wrong?

Yes you can solve it. The solutions are complex. One solution is s = i*pi+Ln(10)

So the pole is at 2.3 (ln 10) +j 3.14. SO this is an unstable system. Am I correct? Also Fourier transform does not exist for this am I right? Since it not abolutely integrable within - infinity and infinity.

purplebird said:
So the pole is at 2.3 (ln 10) +j 3.14. SO this is an unstable system. Am I correct? Also Fourier transform does not exist for this am I right? Since it not abolutely integrable within - infinity and infinity.

In continuous time, the Laplace transform is used to obtain the transfer function. A system is stable if the poles of this transfer function lie strictly in the closed left half of the complex plane (i.e. the real part of all the poles is less than zero).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_theory

purplebird said:
As The Electrician said, this is ONE of the solutions. There is an infinity of them, in the form ln(10) + j(2k+1)pi.

So stability depends om the value of k? Can somebody point me to a good link which teaches how to solve equations like e^x = -a;

purplebird said:
So stability depends om the value of k? Can somebody point me to a good link which teaches how to solve equations like e^x = -a;

k is an integer variable that can take any value between minus infinity and plus infinity. Since for an infinity of values of k the poles lie on the RHP, the system is unstable.
For an explanation on solving your equation see
http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/61830.html

1. What is the concept of stability in a system with poles and zeros at infinity?

The stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity refers to the ability of the system to maintain a steady and predictable behavior over time. It is determined by the location of the poles and zeros in the system's transfer function, which can be analyzed using mathematical techniques such as the Routh-Hurwitz stability criterion.

2. How do poles and zeros at infinity affect the stability of a system?

Poles at infinity indicate that a system has an unstable mode with infinite gain, which can lead to unpredictable and oscillatory behavior. On the other hand, zeros at infinity indicate that the system has a stable mode with zero gain, which can help in stabilizing the overall system. Therefore, the location of poles and zeros at infinity can significantly impact the stability of a system.

3. Can a system with poles and zeros at infinity be stable?

Yes, a system with poles and zeros at infinity can be stable if the number of poles at infinity is equal to the number of zeros at infinity. In this case, the unstable modes and stable modes cancel each other out, resulting in overall stability. However, if the number of poles is greater than the number of zeros, the system will be unstable.

4. How can we improve the stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity?

One way to improve the stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity is by adding a compensator to the system. A compensator is a component that can adjust the transfer function of the system and help in stabilizing it. Another way is to use feedback control techniques to reduce the impact of poles at infinity on the overall stability of the system.

5. What are the consequences of an unstable system with poles and zeros at infinity?

An unstable system with poles and zeros at infinity can lead to unpredictable and oscillatory behavior, which can result in system failure or malfunction. It can also cause instability in other interconnected systems, leading to a domino effect. Therefore, it is crucial to analyze and address the stability of a system with poles and zeros at infinity to ensure its proper functioning.