1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation homework

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    Help please??

To anybody that can offer a hand.

<x>=5, Standard Deviation = 2, median Mx=4.5, Quartile1=4, Quartile 2=6, xmin=0, xmax=9.

After a linear tranform: y= -2x+1. What are <y>, Standard deviation y, median y, Q1y, Q2y, Ymin, Ymax.

I was given this equation for homework and I am totally lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2004 #2

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Except for the standard deviation, all the items you want can be botained by simply applying the linear transformation to an x quantity to get the corresponding y quantity. For example <y>=-2<x>+1. To get the standard deviation, you multiply by the absolute value of the multiplicative constant, therefore y standard deviation is 4.

4. Feb 19, 2004 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Re: Help please??

you know how you've got all the formulae for workingout those quantities? we,, instead of putting an x in the, try putting ax+b and seeing what the answer is and how it relates to the untransformed quantity:

mean: [tex]E:=\sum_nx_i/N[/tex] where N is the number of measurements (or whatever) transform by ax+b [tex]\sum_n(ax_i+b)/N=a\sum_nx_i/N +\sum_nb/N = b+ a\sum_nx_i/N = b+aE[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?