1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard Deviation

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    Hi all.

If I have a function V(x1,x2,x3,x4) and I want to calculate it's standard deviation when x1,x2,x3,x4 are standard normal and their variances are small, then formula (8) on this page
    http://www.devicelink.com/mem/archive/99/09/003.html is an approximation to the standard deviation. Can anyone offer me a proof or tell me where I can read more about this formula?

-Anders

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

4. Jun 15, 2007 #3
    Hi.

Hmm, I think it's the clever part I don't understand then. Must I taylor expand V and then compute the standard deviation? And also, I can't see the connection between "difference" and "variance". I'd appreciate a few formulas. Thanks.

-Anders

5. Jun 15, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I thought it would follow from dV = Sum[(partial V/partial xi) dxi, i=1,2,3,4]. The "d" operator is similar to "deviation" (e.g., from the mean). Let's say you have only 2 x's. Then dv = (Dv/Dx1) dx1 + (Dv/Dx2) dx2 ==> dv^2 = (Dv/Dx1)^2 dx1^2 + (Dv/Dx2)^2 dx2^2 + ignored term* approx. equal to (Dv/Dx1)^2 dx1^2 + (Dv/Dx2)^2 dx2^2. (I've used capital D for "partial.")

In fact, you don't even need the link I posted.

*This is the interaction term 2(Dv/Dx1)(Dv/Dx2) dx1 dx2. If you think that for a given "random draw" either of dx1 or dx2 (but not necessarily both, and you don't know which) is likely to be "very small" then you can assume 2(Dv/Dx1)(Dv/Dx2) dx1 dx2 = 0.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2007
  6. Jun 15, 2007 #5
    Okay. The only part I don't understand now is why dx is the same as a standard deviation ?

7. Jun 15, 2007 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  8. Jun 17, 2007 #7
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?