Differences of Random Variables Questions

In summary, the appropriate value of zstar for a 95% confidence interval for u1 - u2 is 1.959964, the 95% confidence interval for u1 - u2 is (-11.382523, 5.382523), and the variance of Xbar - Ybar is 105/12.
donkeybutt
Hi guys, I need help with this question.

Suppose X has a normal distribution with mean u1 and known standard deviation 7.
Suppose Y has a normal distribution with mean u2 and known standard deviation 9.
Suppose we have a random sample of size 6 from the X distribution. The sample mean xbar is 24.
Suppose we have a random sample of size 8 from the Y distribution. The sample mean ybar is 27.

What is an appropriate value of zstar for a 95% confidence interval for u1 – u2?

Since the confidence interval has to be 95% is subtracted .95 from 1 to get .05 which is alpha. I then divided by 2. The z-score I got was 1.959964.

1-.95 = 0.05
0.5/2 = 0.025
z-score of 0.025 = 1.959964

Create a 95% confidence interval for u1 - u2.

24-27-1.959964*squareroot(49/6+81/8) and 24-27+1.959964*squareroot(49/6+81/8)

I did this and got (-11.382523 and 5.382523)

Calculate the variance of Xbar - Ybar

Now this third question is why I'm here. I have absolutely no clue how to solve this. Can someone offer me some help? Does anyone know the formula I can use to solve this and walk me through it? (Worried)(Poolparty)

Physics news on Phys.org
The variance of Xbar - Ybar can be calculated using the following formula:Var(Xbar - Ybar) = Var(Xbar) + Var(Ybar) - 2*Cov(Xbar, Ybar)Where Var(Xbar) is the variance of the sample mean of X and Var(Ybar) is the variance of the sample mean of Y. Cov stands for covariance and is a measure of how two variables are related.To calculate the variance of Xbar, we use the formula Var(Xbar) = σ^2/n, where σ is the standard deviation of X (7 in this case) and n is the sample size (6 in this case). Therefore, Var(Xbar) = 49/6.Similarly, to calculate the variance of Ybar, we use the formula Var(Ybar) = σ^2/n, where σ is the standard deviation of Y (9 in this case) and n is the sample size (8 in this case). Therefore, Var(Ybar) = 81/8.Finally, to calculate the covariance between Xbar and Ybar, we use the formula Cov(Xbar, Ybar) = σxy/n, where σxy is the covariance between X and Y and n is the sample size. Since we don't know the covariance between X and Y, we can assume that it is 0 and therefore Cov(Xbar, Ybar) = 0.Putting everything together, we get:Var(Xbar - Ybar) = Var(Xbar) + Var(Ybar) - 2*Cov(Xbar, Ybar)= 49/6 + 81/8 - 0= 105/12Therefore, the variance of Xbar - Ybar is 105/12.

1. What are random variables?

Random variables are quantities whose values are determined by chance or probability. They can take on different values, and their probability of occurrence can be described by a probability distribution.

2. What is the difference between discrete and continuous random variables?

Discrete random variables can only take on a finite or countably infinite number of values, while continuous random variables can take on any value within a certain range. For example, the number of heads in 10 coin tosses is a discrete random variable, while the height of a person is a continuous random variable.

3. How do you calculate the expected value of a random variable?

The expected value of a random variable is calculated by multiplying each possible value by its corresponding probability and then summing all of these values. This can also be written in terms of a probability distribution function, where the expected value is equal to the integral of the random variable multiplied by the probability density function.

4. Can two random variables have the same expected value but different probability distributions?

Yes, two random variables can have the same expected value but different probability distributions. This means that on average, both variables will have the same value, but the actual values they take on may differ depending on their respective probability distributions.

5. How can you compare two random variables?

Two random variables can be compared by looking at their probability distributions, expected values, and other measures such as variance and standard deviation. Additionally, statistical tests such as t-tests or ANOVA can be used to determine if there are significant differences between the two variables.