Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standard errors in surface areas and volumes?

1. Sep 17, 2010 #1
    I have to finish this one question that I have come across and I am having a bit of trouble figuring out where to go from what I havee done.
    The Q is:

A copper cylinder is 5.82 +/- 0.06 cm long and has a radius of 2.53 +/- 0.04 cm. Using the appropraite formula,
    Question Details
    a) Find the total surface area of the cylinder and the standard error in the area .
    b) Find the volume of the cylinder and the standard error in the volume.
    c) Given that the density of copper is 8.96cm^-3, find the mass of the cylinder

We are to use error propogation formulas for this.

For part a and b I calculated the normals and for b- volume and used the formulae for product rules to calculate the error in volume and found it to be 2.88.

Can someone guide me through the process because I have the formulas and I plug in the values but I am not sure If i am right or not.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2010 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I prefer to remember just this formula and see how it applies in any particular problem. In this case, for example, the volume of the cilinder would be given by [itex]V = \pi r^2 \ell[/itex] where r is the radius and [itex]\ell[/itex] its length.
    Since both of these have an uncertainty associated to them, you can calculate
    [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial \ell} = \pi r^2, \quad \frac{\partial V}{\partial r} = 2 \pi r \ell[/tex]
    and simply plug in your values for [itex]r, \ell, \delta r \text{ and } \delta\ell[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook