Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Standerising NaOH

1. Nov 19, 2003 #1
    I am doing my chemistry practicle and my tecaher has told me that I need to standerise my 0.1moldm-3 solution of NaOH with HCl acid. But I don't know why or how, or what concentration of HCl. Does anyone have any ideas pls?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2003 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why? NaOH pellets have no definite composition --- you can't make up solutions by weight to better than a few percent uncertainty, and, once made up, it's a base, it absorbs CO2 from the air --- so, no matter how careful you are about keeping it closed, the concentration changes over time. This much information is not as well stressed during instruction as it should be. You get this much for free.

Since this is more in the category of a HW problem, now, you can tell us what you do know, how much instruction you've had, what lab manual you're working from, how much success you had with the acid-base titration exercises, and what you think is the place to start on this problem. 'Kay?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?