Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Star-shaped balloon

1. Jan 8, 2008 #1
    I was wondering,

In a star shaped balloon, isn't the pressure inside the same in the center as it is in the smaller edges?

But let's say I also add some more air. As the air is being pumped in, wouldn't the pressure momentarily be higher in the points. If so, wouldn't their temperature be slightly higher because of thermodynamic principles?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2008 #2

Danger

Gold Member

The pressure inside a container is always equal at all points. There will be a slight temperature change as air is added, but I doubt that any normal equipment could measure it.

4. Jan 8, 2008 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

As air is added, the pressure is higher where the air is being added (because the air is flowing), but as Danger said, the difference is typically negligible.

Your choice of example implies to me that you may think pressure can somehow be concentrated by the points. That's not how pressure works.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?