Is It Possible to Do Mathematics Research Without a PhD?

• Thread starter NYStateofMind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the conversation discusses the desire to pursue mathematics and become a mathematician, but the limitations of time and commitments make it difficult to do so through traditional means. The person has passed actuary exams and has a proficiency in undergraduate level math, and is seeking advice on non-traditional ways to pursue a path to becoming a mathematician. The conversation also mentions a website and document that may be helpful in this pursuit. The final question asks if it is possible to do research in mathematics without a PhD.
NYStateofMind
Good evening,

I really want to study mathematics, to learn to do (at least some level) of mathematic research. I am at a point in my life where I will not be able to pursue these studies in a university because of my commitment to the court calendar. I could devote 4-5 hours a day to study, but not during the time when classes are in session. I have passed several actuary exams and have a proficiency in undergraduate level math. To become a mathematician, to eventually make some contribution to the field (even many years from now) is a dream of mine. Is there a non-traditional way to pursue a path to being a mathematician? What would you recommend as a good course of study for the next year?

Thank you for your advice and input.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you!

Is it possible to do research in mathematics without a PhD?

NYStateofMind said:
Is it possible to do research in mathematics without a PhD?

Yes. How do you think people get a PhD.

What is the importance of starting out in mathematics?

Starting out in mathematics is essential because it provides the foundation for more advanced mathematical concepts and skills. It trains the mind to think logically and critically, which are important skills in various fields such as science, engineering, and finance.

What are the basic concepts that one should learn when starting out in mathematics?

Some of the basic concepts that one should learn when starting out in mathematics include numbers, algebra, geometry, and statistics. These concepts serve as building blocks for more complex mathematical concepts.

How can I improve my skills in mathematics?

The best way to improve your skills in mathematics is through practice. Solve as many problems as you can, and try to understand the concepts and principles behind them. You can also seek help from a tutor or join study groups to get additional support and guidance.

Is it necessary to have a natural talent for mathematics to succeed?

No, having a natural talent for mathematics is not a requirement for success. While some people may have a natural inclination towards math, anyone can develop their skills through hard work and dedication. It's important to have a positive attitude and be willing to put in the effort to improve.

What are some resources that can help me in my journey of starting out in mathematics?

There are many resources available to help you in your journey of starting out in mathematics. Some good resources include textbooks, online tutorials and courses, math games and puzzles, and study groups. You can also seek help from your teachers or professors for additional support.