Static and Kinetic Friction Problem, getting wrong answer?

In summary, the crate of oranges weighing 176 N on a flatbed truck with coefficients of friction μs = 0.30 and μk = 0.20 experiences a frictional force of 52.8 N when the truck is driving at a constant speed of 6.3 m/s. If the truck accelerates at 4.0 m/s2, the frictional force on the crate will also increase. The maximum acceleration the truck can have without the crate starting to slide is 3 m/s. The crate does not accelerate as it moves together with the truck at a constant velocity.
ADMINISTRAT0R
A crate of oranges weighing 176 N rests on a flatbed truck 2.0 m from the back of the truck. The coefficients of friction between the crate and the bed are μs = 0.30 and μk = 0.20. The truck drives on a straight, level highway at a constant 6.3 m/s.

a. What is the force of friction acting on the crate?
I multiplied .30 X 176= 52.8. Online assignment says it's wrong?

frictional force= co of friction times Normal force

b. If the truck speeds up with an acceleration of 4.0 m/s2, what is the force of the friction on the crate?

magnitude:
Direction:

I simply used the kinetic friction value times the normal force and still got it wrong.

frictional force= co of friction times Normal force

(c) What is the maximum acceleration the truck can have without the crate starting to slide?

I got this right at 3 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, I got B and C, but I still can't get a.

The truck and the crate move together with a constant velocity along a straight line. Does the crate accelerate?

ehild

1. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction is the force that prevents two surfaces from moving when they are in contact with each other, while kinetic friction is the force that acts on two surfaces that are already in motion.

2. How does the coefficient of friction affect the calculation of static and kinetic friction?

The coefficient of friction is a constant value that depends on the materials of the two surfaces in contact. It affects the calculation of static and kinetic friction by determining the strength of the force needed to overcome the friction between the surfaces.

3. Why do I keep getting the wrong answer when solving for static and kinetic friction?

There could be several reasons for getting the wrong answer when solving for static and kinetic friction. Some common mistakes include using the wrong coefficient of friction, not considering the direction of the frictional force, and not properly accounting for other external forces acting on the system.

4. How can I determine the direction of the frictional force in a problem?

The direction of the frictional force can be determined by considering the direction of motion or tendency of motion of the surfaces in contact. If the surfaces are moving or have a tendency to move in opposite directions, the frictional force will act in the direction opposite to the motion or tendency of motion.

5. Can the coefficient of friction change in a problem?

Yes, the coefficient of friction can change in a problem depending on factors such as temperature, surface conditions, and the presence of lubricants. It is important to carefully consider these factors and adjust the coefficient of friction accordingly when solving for static and kinetic friction.