1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Getting wrong answer on physics problem

1. Mar 30, 2005 #1
    A bead slides without friction around a loop-the-loop. The bead is released from height of 25.1m from the bottom of the loop-the-loop which has a radius of 9m. THe acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 m/s^2. There is a point A at the very top of the loop. I need to know the normal force(Fn) at that point if the mass is 3 g. I converted the 3 g to kg and then tried to solve. I set Fn-mg=0 so Fn=mg. So I took 0.003 and multiplied by 9.8m/s^2 but got the answer wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2005 #2
    Why?

F = mg gives you the force that gravity exerts on the bead. Why would you think that would be equal to the force that the loop exerts on the bead after the bead has accelerated down the track and halfway around the loop?

Use energy considerations to figure out the speed of the bead when it reaches point A.

Then use circular motion (radial acceleration) and gravity to determine the normal force necessary to keep the bead moving along its circular path.

Look at Logistics' question for more ideas:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=69254

Last edited: Mar 30, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?