Static Electricity an Aliens

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of levitating a car using electric charge. The participants consider the force of gravity between the Earth and the car, and use equations to determine the necessary amount of charge to lift the car. The final answer is found to be 7.3 x 10³C, after correcting for a mistake in the initial calculation.
toasted

Homework Statement

Imagine that space invaders could deposit extra electrons in equal amounts on the Earth and on your car, which has a mass of 1200kg. Note that the rubber tires would provide some insulation. How much charge Q would need to be placed on your car (same amount on earth) in order to levitate it (overcome gravity)? (Hint: Assume the separation distance is the radius of the Earth- and that the Earth's charge is sprea uniformly so it acts as if it were located at the Earth's center.)

Homework Equations

Fg =Gm1m2/ d2

and possily: F= kq1q2/d2

The Attempt at a Solution

So i think you would first find the force of gravity between the Earth and the car, however from there I am not sure how you would determine the charge from that in order to lift the car. Could someone please help me with this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
Equate G*m1*m2/d^2=k*q1*q2/d^2. m1 is mass of the earth, m2 is mass of the car and the problem told you q1=q2=Q.

Dick said:
Equate G*m1*m2/d^2=k*q1*q2/d^2. m1 is mass of the earth, m2 is mass of the car and the problem told you q1=q2=Q.

I tried the technique that you said and I got the charge to be 5.3x 107C, but according to my teacher i was suppose to get 7.3 x 103C. Could you try to clarify why i got this answer? When you try it what answer do you get?

I get the same thing your teacher got. Maybe you'd better show your work.

toasted said:
I tried the technique that you said and I got the charge to be 5.3x 107C, but according to my teacher i was suppose to get 7.3 x 103C. Could you try to clarify why i got this answer? When you try it what answer do you get?

I think your number is 5.3*10^7 coulombs^2=Q^2. You have to take a square root to get Q.

Dick said:
I think your number is 5.3*10^7 coulombs^2=Q^2. You have to take a square root to get Q.

O I forgot that I had q2 on top! thank you so much for your help, and explaining it through!

What is static electricity?

Static electricity is the build-up of electric charge on the surface of an object. It occurs when there is an imbalance of positive and negative charges.

How is static electricity formed?

Static electricity is formed when two objects rub against each other, causing the transfer of electrons between them. One object becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged.

Can static electricity affect electronic devices?

Yes, static electricity can build up on electronic devices and cause damage if discharged. It is important to take precautions such as grounding yourself before handling electronic devices to prevent static discharge.

Can aliens manipulate static electricity?

There is no scientific evidence to suggest that aliens have the ability to manipulate static electricity. However, some people believe that extraterrestrial beings may have advanced technology that could harness or control electrical energy.

Is there a connection between static electricity and UFO sightings?

There is no proven connection between static electricity and UFO sightings. Some theories suggest that unidentified flying objects may emit electrical energy, but there is no concrete evidence to support this claim.