Static Friction of a Car's Tyre

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
33 replies · 12K views
Vibhor said:
I was referring to car decelerating on a level ground .
Sorry, my mistake. I should have posted:
I specified level ground, one set of wheels braking and the other freewheeling. Why would the car be getting faster? etc.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh ! Now I am getting confused . When brakes are applied on rear wheels and none of the wheels slip ,then isn't friction acting in forward direction on front wheels (car moving on level ground ).
 
Vibhor said:
Oh ! Now I am getting confused . When brakes are applied on rear wheels and none of the wheels slip ,then isn't friction acting in forward direction on front wheels (car moving on level ground ).
Yes, and that is what I wrote in post #25 (except that I referred to braking wheels and freewheeling wheels, rather than specifically front and back).
In your post #28 you agreed with that if the car is decelerating, but suggested it would not apply if the car is accelerating. I responded in post #31 by asking how it could be that the car is accelerating, given that some wheels are braking and the rest freewheeling, leaving none driving.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vibhor