Static Pressure in Gravity-Fed Water System: Analyzing Real-World Problem

In summary, the conversation is about a gravity-fed domestic water system with a large tank at 300' elevation supplying water to a piping system. The system consists of a 6" line at 100' elevation branching into a 2" line with varying demand and a 2" line leading to a closed valve at 80' elevation. The question is about the static pressure at the closed valve with different flow rates in Branch 1 and how it may be affected by upstream demands.
yaboynate
I have a somewhat theoretical question based on a real world problem regarding a gravity-fed domestic water system:

I have a very large tank (~10,000 gal) at 300' elevation supplying water to a piping system consisting of a 6" line coming down from the tank to a tee at 100' elevation. Branch 1 from the tee has a varying demand on the system in a 2" line. Branch 2 runs down to a closed valve at 80' and is also a 2" line. What is the static pressure at the closed valve when the Branch 1 demand is 5 gpm? 10 gpm? 20 gpm?

The real world basis is that I have these 50 psi swings (40 - 90 psi) in system pressure at my closed valve. I'm trying to determine if upstream demands could cause this and if so, how much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Assuming that the tank is full, the static pressure at the closed valve will be:5 gpm: 61.2 psi10 gpm: 65.1 psi20 gpm: 71.6 psi

Related to Static Pressure in Gravity-Fed Water System: Analyzing Real-World Problem

1. What is static pressure in a gravity-fed water system?

Static pressure is the force exerted by a fluid at rest in a closed system, such as a gravity-fed water system. It is measured in units of pressure, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa).

2. How does static pressure affect water flow in a gravity-fed system?

Static pressure plays a crucial role in determining the flow rate of water in a gravity-fed system. The higher the static pressure, the greater the force pushing the water through the pipes, resulting in a higher flow rate. Conversely, lower static pressure will result in a slower flow rate.

3. What factors can affect the static pressure in a gravity-fed water system?

Several factors can affect the static pressure in a gravity-fed system, including the height of the water source, the diameter and length of the pipes, and any obstructions or restrictions in the system. Additionally, changes in temperature and elevation can also impact static pressure.

4. How can I analyze a real-world problem involving static pressure in a gravity-fed water system?

To analyze a real-world problem, you will need to gather data on the height of the water source, pipe dimensions, and any obstructions or restrictions in the system. You can then use equations and calculations to determine the static pressure and flow rate in the system.

5. Are there any practical applications for understanding static pressure in a gravity-fed water system?

Understanding static pressure in a gravity-fed water system is essential for engineers and plumbers to design and maintain efficient water systems. It is also crucial for troubleshooting any issues with water flow and identifying potential problems in the system.