Static Problem for Upright Vessel

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining whether an upright vessel will be knocked over by wind. The vessel is described as an upright cylinder with a skirt on the bottom. The individual seeking help knows how to calculate the force from the wind, but is struggling with the statics and finding a way to equate forces to determine if the vessel will topple. Another person suggests drawing the vessel tilted over and notes that there will be a restoring torque as it tilts. The conversation also brings up the idea of defining what constitutes as "topple" and how much lean is acceptable.
avannoord
Hey all,

I'm currently working on a problem where whether an upright vessel will be knocked over by wind needs to be determined. The vessel is essentially an upright cylinder with a skirt on the bottom. I've attached a link to a blank diagram of it. I know how to calculate the force from the wind, but the problem lies in the statics on how to equate forces and determine if the vessel will topple. I'd appreciate any insight. Thank you!

https://postimg.org/image/ru0z1i0ev/

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field but..

Draw it tilted over at an angle. It's clear that as it tilts the centre of mass would not remain be directly below the centre of buoyancy so there would be a restoring couple/torque. The float will lean over until the sum of the torques is zero.

Do you also need to define topple? How much lean is acceptable?

1. What is a "Static Problem for Upright Vessel"?

The static problem for an upright vessel refers to the analysis and calculation of the forces and stresses acting on a vessel that is standing upright, such as a storage tank or pressure vessel. This is important in ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the vessel.

2. What factors contribute to a static problem for an upright vessel?

The main factors that contribute to a static problem for an upright vessel include the weight of the vessel itself, the weight of the contents inside, and any external forces acting on the vessel, such as wind or seismic activity. These factors can lead to stresses that must be carefully analyzed and accounted for.

3. How is the static problem for an upright vessel typically solved?

The static problem for an upright vessel is typically solved using engineering principles and calculations based on the laws of physics. This involves determining the forces acting on the vessel, calculating the resulting stresses, and designing the vessel to withstand these stresses.

4. What are some common challenges when solving a static problem for an upright vessel?

Some common challenges when solving a static problem for an upright vessel include accurately determining the weight and distribution of the vessel and its contents, accounting for any dynamic forces that may be present, and ensuring the vessel meets safety standards and regulations.

5. How important is solving the static problem for an upright vessel?

Solving the static problem for an upright vessel is crucial in ensuring the safety and reliability of the vessel. Failure to properly analyze and account for the forces and stresses acting on the vessel can lead to structural failure, which can have serious consequences such as leaks, spills, or even explosions.