1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about fluid mechanics

1. Dec 19, 2012 #1
    Hi, I am trying to work with the problem of keeping a solid body at equilibrium over an orifice.

To see what I mean ( not necessarily a sphere could be a cube or something like that as well ) please look at the image I have attached.

I am trying to work with the sphere case first and then move on to the case of cube and cylinder. In case of cylinder I am going to be working with the variables and solving for the fraction of the height I can keep outside. Also outside pressure is assumed to be atmospheric pressure and viscosity negligible. The rectangles at the bottom represent container walls.

I am not sure how to progress here, however. Does the problem even have a solution at all ? My basic issue lies with the part of the sphere outside the vessel as the part inside experiences an easily calculable force of buoyancy. However I am not sure how to progress after this. Have I taken too few variables and made the problem unsolvable by any chance ? Would it help me to examine some other geometric figure first as a learning precedent ?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted