Statically indeterminate problem

In summary: Throughout this analysis, compressive stresses have consistently been treated as positive (see the figure). So, -42.11 kN means that the center member is in tension.
Queren Suriano

Homework Statement

Calculate the stress in every segment of the system. AD and BC are laton and AB is steel.

Homework Equations

geometry compatibility-δ(A/D) +δ(A/B) - δ(C/B) = 0

F(D) - F(C) - 50 =0

The Attempt at a Solution

I supossed that DA and BC are in compression and AB is in tension. But I don't get the answer of the book, so I would like you help to understand what I am analyzing wrong.
upload_2015-4-4_22-25-18.png

upload_2015-4-4_22-27-16.png

The solution is this but I don't understand it...
upload_2015-4-4_23-2-29.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there something omitted from the figure that accounts for the fact that Fc and Fd are different? From the figure, it looks like they should be equal if the system is in static equilibrium.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is there something omitted from the figure that accounts for the fact that Fc and Fd are different? From the figure, it looks like they should be equal if the system is in static equilibrium.

Chet
Do you refer to the figure of segment BC??

Oh. I wasn't able to see them until I enlarged the figure.

Be back shortly.

Chet

OK. I didn't look at what the answer key did, but I did look at what you did.

You just had some sign issues. You can't arbitrarily assume that certain members are in compression and certain others are in tension. You need to let the math do the work for you. I let the δ's represent the increases in length of the three members. If they are in compression, then the signs will come out negative. So,

$$δ_{AD}+δ_{AB}+δ_{CB}=0$$
$$-\frac{F_DL_{AD}}{E_1A_1}-\frac{(F_D-150)L_{AB}}{E_2A_2}-\frac{F_CL_{CB}}{E_1A_1}=0$$

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano
Chestermiller said:

You just had some sign issues. You can't arbitrarily assume that certain members are in compression and certain others are in tension. You need to let the math do the work for you. I let the δ's represent the increases in length of the three members. If they are in compression, then the signs will come out negative. So,

$$-\frac{F_DL_{AD}}{E_1A_1}-\frac{(F_D-150)L_{AB}}{E_2A_2}-\frac{F_CL_{CB}}{E_1A_1}=0$$

Chet
Chestermiller said:

Chet

Last edited:
Queren Suriano said:
But what do you write all the terms negative?Anyway if I multiplicate (-1) it turns positive; I solved assumed all terms positive and I get the correct answers, and they give possitive...So does this mean that the 3 segments are in tension?

Last edited:
Thanks for your help

No. The way the figure is drawn, Fc and Fd are both compressional forces. So the two end sections are in compression. What does that tell you about the center section? Also, look at how the forces are applied to the ends of the center section.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
No. The way the figure is drawn, Fc and Fd are both compressional forces. So the two end sections are in compression. What does that tell you about the center section? Also, look at how the forces are applied to the ends of the center section.

Chet
Ok, but in the center section If I substitute the force F(D) I obtain -42.11 kN. So the center section would be in compression, but in the answer is in tension...

Queren Suriano said:
Ok, but in the center section If I substitute the force F(D) I obtain -42.11 kN. So the center section would be in compression, but in the answer is in tension...
Throughout this analysis, compressive stresses have consistently been treated as positive (see the figure). So, -42.11 kN means that the center member is in tension.

Chet

Likes Queren Suriano

What is a statically indeterminate problem?

A statically indeterminate problem is a type of structural analysis problem where the number of unknown forces or reactions is greater than the number of available equations of equilibrium. This means that the problem cannot be solved using traditional methods and requires additional techniques to determine the unknown values.

What causes a problem to be statically indeterminate?

A problem is statically indeterminate when the structure has redundant or extra members, supports, or loads. This means that there are more unknowns than equations of equilibrium, making it impossible to solve using basic principles of statics.

How is a statically indeterminate problem solved?

Statically indeterminate problems can be solved using various techniques such as the method of consistent deformations, the slope-deflection method, the moment distribution method, or the use of compatibility equations. These methods take into account the additional unknowns and provide a solution for the problem.

What are the advantages of solving a statically indeterminate problem?

The main advantage of solving a statically indeterminate problem is that it allows for more efficient and economical design of structures. By using the additional information from the redundant members, more accurate and optimized designs can be achieved. It also allows for the analysis of complex structures that cannot be solved using traditional methods.

What are some real-world examples of statically indeterminate problems?

Statically indeterminate problems can be found in various structures such as bridges, buildings, cranes, and even in everyday objects like bicycles. For example, a simple truss bridge with extra diagonal members can be statically indeterminate, or a building with redundant columns or beams can also pose a statically indeterminate problem.