1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statically indeterminate problem

1. Apr 4, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Calculate the stress in every segment of the system. AD and BC are laton and AB is steel.

2. Relevant equations
    geometry compatibility

-δ(A/D) +δ(A/B) - δ(C/B) = 0

F(D) - F(C) - 50 =0

3. The attempt at a solution

I supossed that DA and BC are in compression and AB is in tension. But I dont get the answer of the book, so I would like you help to understand what I am analyzing wrong.

upload_2015-4-4_22-25-18.png

upload_2015-4-4_22-27-16.png

The solution is this but I dont understand it...

upload_2015-4-4_23-2-29.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 5, 2015 #2
    Is there something omitted from the figure that accounts for the fact that Fc and Fd are different? From the figure, it looks like they should be equal if the system is in static equilibrium.

Chet

4. Apr 5, 2015 #3

Do you refer to the figure of segment BC??

5. Apr 5, 2015 #4
    Oh. I wasn't able to see them until I enlarged the figure.

Be back shortly.

Chet

6. Apr 5, 2015 #5
    OK. I didn't look at what the answer key did, but I did look at what you did.

You just had some sign issues. You can't arbitrarily assume that certain members are in compression and certain others are in tension. You need to let the math do the work for you. I let the δ's represent the increases in length of the three members. If they are in compression, then the signs will come out negative. So,

$$δ_{AD}+δ_{AB}+δ_{CB}=0$$
    $$-\frac{F_DL_{AD}}{E_1A_1}-\frac{(F_D-150)L_{AB}}{E_2A_2}-\frac{F_CL_{CB}}{E_1A_1}=0$$

Chet

7. Apr 5, 2015 #6

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  8. Apr 5, 2015 #7

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  9. Apr 5, 2015 #8
    Thanks for your help

10. Apr 5, 2015 #9
    No. The way the figure is drawn, Fc and Fd are both compressional forces. So the two end sections are in compression. What does that tell you about the center section? Also, look at how the forces are applied to the ends of the center section.

Chet

11. Apr 5, 2015 #10
    Ok, but in the center section If I substitute the force F(D) I obtain -42.11 kN. So the center section would be in compression, but in the answer is in tension.....

12. Apr 5, 2015 #11
    Throughout this analysis, compressive stresses have consistently been treated as positive (see the figure). So, -42.11 kN means that the center member is in tension.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted