1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statics: Reactions at rocker and pin on an A-shaped frame

1. Apr 22, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the reactions at rocker support A and pin support B.

2. Relevant equations
    ƩF = 0
    ƩM = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

ƩFx = 0: -Asin(25) - (800lb) + Bx
    ƩFy = 0: Acos(25) - (500lb) + By

I'm getting thrown off because of the rocker on an incline.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2
    You have made an assumption without declaring it about the direction of the reaction at B, and it contains an inconsistency. Before you apply equilibrium equations blindly, look at the problem geometrically so that you know the rough directions of the answers you seek. In this case, if you draw a line with a gradient 5 to 8 through E in the approximately south west direction, where does this line of the resultant applied force meet the direction of the reaction at A? Why is it that the reaction at B must also pass through this same point? What can you now conclude about the directions of the two reaction forces.... and hence their components? Can you now sketch a triangle of forces and obtain an answer to the question within 20% of the algebraically "correct" answer. It is wise to do the rough thought process I have described, before doing the algebra. I concede that very systematic people can solve mechanics problems with no mental picture of it, but it is rare to do so without one or more errors. Looking at the problem geometrically is a form of error trapping.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook