Stationary distribution for a doubly stochastic matrix.

In summary: IA can find the distribution vector for any r\times r stochastic matrix, but it is not always necessary to solve the system of equations.
spitz

Homework Statement

I can find the stationary distribution vector [itex]\boldsymbol\pi[/itex] for a stochastic matrix [itex]P[/itex] using:

[itex]\boldsymbol\pi P=\boldsymbol\pi[/itex], where [itex]\pi_1+\pi_2+\ldots+\pi_k=1[/itex]

However, I can't find a textbook that explains how to do this for a doubly stochastic (bistochastic) matrix. Could somebody show me how?

Physics news on Phys.org
spitz said:

Homework Statement

I can find the stationary distribution vector [itex]\boldsymbol\pi[/itex] for a stochastic matrix [itex]P[/itex] using:

[itex]\boldsymbol\pi P=\boldsymbol\pi[/itex], where [itex]\pi_1+\pi_2+\ldots+\pi_k=1[/itex]

However, I can't find a textbook that explains how to do this for a doubly stochastic (bistochastic) matrix. Could somebody show me how?

What are you trying to do? Has somebody told you what the actual values are of [itex] \pi_1, \ldots, \pi_n, [/itex] and you want to verify (or at least understand) the results? Or, do you not know what the solution is?

RGV

I know how to find the distribution vector for any [itex]r\times r[/itex] stochastic matrix. I want to know why, if the matrix is doubly stochastic, you don't need to solve the system of equations and the distribution vector is just [itex](1/r,\ldots ,1/r)[/itex].

spitz said:
I know how to find the distribution vector for any [itex]r\times r[/itex] stochastic matrix. I want to know why, if the matrix is doubly stochastic, you don't need to solve the system of equations and the distribution vector is just [itex](1/r,\ldots ,1/r)[/itex].

Without some qualifications the result is not true: consider P = nxn identity matrix. It is doubly-stochastic, but any row vector (v1, v2, ..., vn) satisfies the equation vP = v. If, however, we assume P corresponds to an irreducible chain, the result is true.

Take the case where P has at least two nonzero entries in each column. Suppose the row vector π does not have equal entries. Look at the jth equation [itex] \pi_j = \sum_{i} \pi_i p_{i,j}.[/itex] Since the column entries sum to 1, this is a weighted average of [/itex] \pi_1, \ldots, \pi_n.[/itex] and since there are at least two nonzero entries in the column, we have [itex] \min(\pi_1,\ldots,\pi_n) < \pi_j < \max(\pi_1,\ldots, \pi_n).[/itex] You ought to be able to derive a contradiction from this.

You still need to deal with cases where at least one column has only one entry (which would be 1.0), but which is, nevertheless, irreducible.

RGV

spitz said:

Without some qualifications the result is not true: consider P = nxn identity matrix. It is doubly-stochastic, but any row vector (v1, v2, ..., vn) satisfies the equation vP = v. If, however, we assume P corresponds to an irreducible chain, the result is true.

Take the case where P has at least two nonzero entries in each column. Suppose the row vector π does not have equal entries. Look at the jth equation [itex] \pi_j = \sum_{i} \pi_i p_{i,j}.[/itex] Since the column entries sum to 1, this is a weighted average of [itex] \pi_1, \ldots, \pi_n.[/itex] and since there are at least two nonzero entries in the column, we have [itex] \min(\pi_1,\ldots,\pi_n) < \pi_j < \max(\pi_1,\ldots, \pi_n).[/itex] You ought to be able to derive a contradiction from this.

You still need to deal with cases where at least one column has only one entry (which would be 1.0), but which is, nevertheless, irreducible.

RGV

1. What is a stationary distribution for a doubly stochastic matrix?

A stationary distribution for a doubly stochastic matrix is a probability distribution that remains constant over time, even after repeated transitions of the matrix. In other words, it is an equilibrium distribution for the matrix.

2. How is a stationary distribution calculated for a doubly stochastic matrix?

A stationary distribution can be calculated by finding the eigenvector associated with the eigenvalue of 1 for the matrix, and normalizing it to sum to 1. This eigenvector represents the stationary distribution for the matrix.

3. What is the significance of a stationary distribution in a doubly stochastic matrix?

A stationary distribution helps to understand the long-term behavior of a doubly stochastic matrix. It can provide insights into the stability and equilibrium of a system described by the matrix.

4. Can a doubly stochastic matrix have more than one stationary distribution?

Yes, a doubly stochastic matrix can have multiple stationary distributions. This occurs when the matrix has more than one eigenvalue of 1 and the corresponding eigenvectors are linearly independent.

5. How does the structure of a doubly stochastic matrix affect its stationary distribution?

The structure of a doubly stochastic matrix can affect its stationary distribution in terms of the convergence rate and stability. For example, a matrix with a dominant eigenvalue of 1 and a small spectral gap will have a slower convergence rate to the stationary distribution compared to a matrix with a larger spectral gap. Additionally, the presence of absorbing states in the matrix can also impact the stationary distribution.