1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary distribution of a Markov chain

1. May 11, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

find the stationary distribtion of ##\left(
    \begin{array}{ccccc}
    \frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)##

2. Relevant equations

##\pi S = \pi ##

3. The attempt at a solution

So I think the definition is this

##\left(
    \begin{array}{ccccc}
    \pi _1 & \pi _2 & \pi _3 & \pi _4 & \pi _5
    \end{array}
    \right)\left(
    \begin{array}{ccccc}
    \frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{2} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & \frac{1}{3} & \frac{2}{3} & 0 & 0 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0 & 1 \\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 1 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right)= \left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    \pi _1 \\
    \pi _2 \\
    \pi _3 \\
    \text{}_{\pi _4} \\
    \pi _5
    \end{array}
    \right)##

I get simulataneous equations... (I've just realised I was doing matrix multiplication the wrong way round)

##\frac{\pi_1}{2} + \frac{\pi_2}{3} = \pi_1 ##
    ##\frac{\pi_1}{2} + \frac{2\pi_2}{3} = \pi_2 ##
    ##\frac{\pi_3}{3} = \pi_3 ##
    ##\pi_5 = \pi_4 ##
    ##\pi_4 = \pi_5 ##

and with the extra condition

## \sum_i \pi_i = 1## *

This reduces to 3 equations with 4 unknowns.

## \pi_1/2=\pi_2/3 ##
    ## \pi_3=0##
    ##\pi_4=\pi_5##

and using * :

##\pi_1 +3\pi_1/2+2\pi_5 = 1##

This gives me

##\vec{\pi}=\left(
    \begin{array}{c}
    \pi _1 \\
    3\frac{\pi _1}{2} \\
    0 \\
    \frac{1}{2}-5\frac{\pi _1}{2} \\
    \frac{1}{2}-5\frac{\pi _1}{2}
    \end{array}
    \right)##

I am unsure how to find ##\pi_1##

##0 <= \pi_1 <=2 ## all seem to work fine. Is this the stationary distribution, an interval of allowed distributions? I thought they were unique.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The first equation above reduces to ##\frac{\pi_1}{2}= \frac{\pi_2}{3}##. The second equation reduces to ##\frac{\pi_1}{2}= \frac{2\pi_2}{3}##
    Those two together give ##\pi_1=\pi_2= 0##.

And then this becomes ##2\pi_5= 1## so ##\pi_4= \pi_5= \frac{1}{2}##

4. May 11, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this problem there is not a uniquely-defined stationary distribution. You can see why, by looking at the one-step transition matrix S. Note that if we start in state 4 or 5 we remain forever in those states, and we flip-flop back and forth between them. If we start in state 3, in the first step we either stay in state 3 or move to state 2. If we are in states 1 or 2 we stay there forever. However, from states 1,2 or 3 we cannot reach state 4 and 5, and vice-versa. Effectively, the state-space splits into two non-communicating parts, and the different steady-state vectors correspond to those two parts. For example, one distribution would be [itex]\pi_1 = \pi_2 = \pi_3 = 0, \pi_4 = \pi_5 = 1/2,[/itex] corresponding to starting in states 4 or 5 and then spending half the time in each over the long run. Another distribution would have [itex] \pi_1, \pi_2 > 0, \pi_3 = \pi_4 = \pi_5 = 0, [/itex] corresponding to starting in state 1,2 or 3. Note that state 3 is transient, so if we start in state 3 we leave it eventually with probability 1; that is why [itex]\pi_3 = 0.[/itex] Note that we can make these conclusions without doing any calculations!

The only remaining issue is to get [itex] \pi_1, \pi_2[/itex] when we start from states 1, 2 or 3. This would be done by solving the simple 2-state case, using just rows 1-2 and columns 1-2 of S. As you note, these give
    [itex] \pi_1 = (1/2)\pi_1 + (1/3)\pi_2 \Longrightarrow \pi_2 = (3/2)\pi_1.[/itex] Since [itex] \pi_1 + \pi_2 = 1,[/itex] we get [itex] \pi_1 = 2/5, \; \pi_2 = 3/5. [/itex]

The two "basic" steady-state distributions are [itex]\Pi_1 = (2/5,3/5,0,0,0) \text{ and } \Pi_2 = (0,0,0,1/2,1/2).[/itex] The most general steady-state distribution has the form
    [itex] \Pi = a \Pi_1 + (1-a) \Pi_2, [/itex] where [itex] a \in [0,1] [/itex] is the probability we start in states 1, 2 or 3 (and 1-a = probability we start in states 4 or 5).

RGV

Last edited: May 11, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook