1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stationary solution to reaction-diffusion equation with certain boundary conditions

1. Aug 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is the stationary (steady state) solution to the following reaction diffusion equation:

\frac{\partial C}{\partial t}= \nabla^2C - kC

Subject to the boundary conditions C(x, y=0) = 1, C(x = 0, y) = C(x = L, y) (IE, periodic boundary conditions along the x-axis, the value at x=0 is the same as at x=L). Also, at y = 0 and y = L, [tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial x} = \frac{\partial C}{\partial y} = 0[/tex].

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = 0[/tex],

rearrange to:

\nabla^2C = kC

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe I can solve this PDE without the boundary conditions, at least the one equation is satisified by a sum of hyberbolic sine or cosine functions. I have absolutely no idea how to incorporate the boundary conditions though. That they are periodic across x tells me that the solution should be symmetric about x = L / 2, but I have no mathematical reasons for this. I have never taking a PDE class before so I am a bit out of my element... any help would be very useful. I know that there IS an analytic solution with these constraints, but I haven't a clue what it is.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2007 #2
    Steady state implies that [tex]\frac{\partial C}{\partial t} = 0[/tex]
    And so,
    [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial y^2} = kC[/tex]

I do not understand the Dirichlet problem. Is this on a rectangle? Can you be more implicit with the boundary conditions?
  4. Aug 4, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

As Kummer said, your "stationary solution" implies
    [tex]\frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial ^2 C}{\partial y^2} = kC[/tex]
    Now "separate variables"- Let C= X(x)Y(y) so that the equation becomes
    [tex]Y\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}+ X\frac{d^2Y}{dy^2}= kXY[/tex]
    Divide by XY to get
    [tex]\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}+ \frac{1}{Y}\frac{d^2Y}{dy^2}= k[/tex]
    In order that that be true for all x the two parts involving only X and only Y must be constants (other wise, by changing x but not y, we could change the first term but not the second- their sum could not remain the same constant, k). That is, we must have
    [tex]\frac{1}{X}\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}= \lambda[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2X}{dx^2}= \lambda X[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{1}{Y}\frac{dY^2}{dy^2}= k- \lambda[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{d^2Y}{dx^2}= (k- \lambda )Y[/tex]

The general solution will be a sum of [itex]X(x,\lambda)Y(y,\lambda)[/itex] summed over all possible values of [itex]\lambda[/itex].

Can you see that, in order to satisfy periodic boundary conditions on the x-axis, [itex]\lambda[/itex] must be [itex]-2n\pi[/itex] for some integer n?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  5. Aug 4, 2007 #4
    1)What are the boundary conditions? I tried reading the post several times, I do not understand what they are?

2)Is it on a rectangle?
  6. Aug 4, 2007 #5
    I am sorry to have not been more descriptive. I have not yet had time to digest HallsofIvy's response, which seems to be the most complete. To respond otherwise, though, the equation is being solved for the stationary state on a square of length/width L. The boundary conditions are: no flux at y = 0 or y = L (that is, top and bottom of square = no flux); periodic boundary conditions along x (that is, N(x = 0) = N(x = L)), and N = 1 along y = 0 (at the top of the square).

Thank you all; HallsofIvy, I will now proceed to consider what you've posted.
  7. Aug 5, 2007 #6
    What is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, it seems to me this is a partial differential equations with a non-homogenous boundary value problem.

Which means you will have to solve for [tex]u_1(x,y)[/tex] so to satisfy:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u_1}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u_1}{\partial y^2} = 0 \mbox{ with }\left\{ \begin{array}{c}u_1(x,0)=u_1(L,y)=u_1(x,L)=0\\ u_1(0,y)=f(y) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

And then you need to solve for [tex]u_2(x,y)[/tex] so to satify:
    [tex]\frac{\partial^2 u_2}{\partial x^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u_2}{\partial ^2 u_2}{\partial y^2}=0 \mbox{ with }\left\{ \begin{array}{c}u_2(x,0)=u_2(L,y)=u_2(x,0)=0\\u_2(L,y)=f(y) \end{array} \right.[/tex]

Then, [tex]u(x,y)=u_1(x,y)+u_2(x,y)[/tex] will be the solution to this equation.

But to solve for those two individually use the methods of seperation of variables.
  8. Aug 5, 2007 #7
    Kummer: N = 1 along y = 0 means: N(x, 0) = 1 (all of the points along the line at the top of the square, at y = 0, have unit concentration).

I will now consider your response... thank you.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?