Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical mechanics and macrostates

1. May 6, 2005 #1
    In my Statistical Physics and Entropy module, we did something about atoms in a box with an imaginary partition down the middle, so atoms could either be on the left or the right. If there were 4 atoms in the box, the system would have 5 macrostates. If there were 8, there would be 9.

Is is true that for n atoms in such a box, there are n + 1 macrostates, for any n?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. May 6, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wrt what statistics...?If those atoms are identical,then u'd have 3 possible cases:Maxwell-Boltzmann statistics,Fermi-Dirac and Bose-Einstein.

If they're not identical,then it wouldn't matter what classical/quantum description u adopt...

Either way,a macrostate would be described through a n-tuplet (1,2,...,n) for distinguishable particles or (1,1,...,1) for indistinguishable particles.

Daniel.

4. May 6, 2005 #3

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If your macrostate is defined as the number of atoms in the left side of the box, then yes, since you can have 0,1,2,..., or n atoms on the left.

5. May 7, 2005 #4
    As usual, I have no idea what you mean.

Thanks.

6. May 7, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If those 4 particles are photons,how many macrostates do you have there...?

Daniel.

7. May 7, 2005 #6
    :confused:

8. May 7, 2005 #7

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It was the easiest example to what i'd been trying to tell...It matters what kind of particles you have there...It's not the same thing if they're billiard balls,fermions or bosons...:wink:

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?