1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistical physisc

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] statistical physisc

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Phy...C9B128C-9358-4177-BFE6-A142E0FD897B/0/ps4.pdf
    I am working on Problem 1a. I am really confused about this question. Do I set the two equations equal to each other and solve for something? Do I just randomly write down 3 equations for t in terms of the respective variables of the 3 systems and then plug the given equations into to them to see if they are equal?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Last edited: Mar 9, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2008 #2

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try assuming the gases are ideal and use the correct equation of state. Did you read the lecture notes?

4. Mar 9, 2008 #3
    Yes, I read the lecture notes. Speaking of that, go here http://ocw.mit.edu/NR/rdonlyres/Phy...27A47-C2E6-4D06-B646-177DC744CC2A/0/lec10.pdf
    In the third slide, why is the predictor t = c_g PV/N and not t = c_g PV/NT ? It seems like they want the same constant whenever the system is in equilibrium, so doesn't that mean they want the same constant regardless of what T is at equilibrium.
    In the current problem, they say the coordinates of the system are P and V, so I assume that means N is constant. So, can I define t = PV-nbP, t'' = P''V'' and then the first equation makes t = t'' at equilibrium, but I have no idea what to do about the second equation? Should I just guess and check or is there a systematic way to do this? Is there only one answer?

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4

Mapes

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If temperature is the predictor of thermal equilibrium, then is it better to define the predictor to be t = c_g PV/N or t = c_g PV/NT for an ideal gas? It seems to me that the first one is a better match for the ideal gas law PV = nRT. The other way doesn't make much sense from a dimensional point of view.

But I see now that you don't need to assume ideal gases in problem 1a. Use the zeroth law: if A and C are at equilibrium and B and C are at equilibium, then A and B are at equilibium. Try calculating P'' from the first equation and from the second equation and setting the values equal to each other. Use your definitions t = PV-nbP and t'' = P''V'', and t' should emerge.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?