Photon wavelength probability distribution for blackbody

In summary, the question being posed is about the probability of a photon having a specific wavelength from a blackbody source at temperature T. The spectral radiance of a blackbody is typically discussed, but the focus here is on the individual photon wavelength distribution. The probability of a photon having a certain wavelength can be determined by normalizing the number of photons produced by the blackbody at that wavelength, which follows a proportionality based on Plank's law. A slight correction is needed for the precise probability calculation, but the overall approach is correct.
Orthoptera
Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting on PF!

I want to model the photons ejected from a blackbody source at temperature T.
The question I want answered is: given a photon is detected, what is the probability of the photon having a wavelength λ? This amounts to just attaining the probability density function for the different wavelengths.

We normally talk about blackbodies in terms of intensity, or more specifically spectral radiance, but I want to talk about the individual photon wavelength distribution.

My current thoughts are:
Plank’s law for spectral radiance as a function of wavelength may be written as :
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{plank1}
I(\lambda,T) = \frac{2 h c^2 }{\lambda^5} \frac{1 }{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda k_B T}}-1}
\end{eqnarray}
where I is the spectral radiance, the power radiated per unit area of emitting surface in the normal direction per unit solid angle per unit frequency by a black body at temperature T, h is Plank’s constant, c is the speed of light in a vacuum and k is the Boltzmann constant. The energy produced by a single wavelength of light is
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{plank15}
E=N_\lambda h c / \lambda
\end{eqnarray}
where N is the number of photons at this wavelength produced by the blackbody. It follows from Plank’s law that the number of photons produced by a blackbody with a certain wavelength follows the proportionality:
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{plank2}
N_\lambda(\lambda,T) \propto \frac{1}{\lambda^4} \frac{1 }{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda k_B T}}-1}
\end{eqnarray}
Then the probability density of a blackbody emitting a photon of wavelength λ is given by normalising:
\begin{eqnarray}
\label{plank3}
Prob(\lambda)= \frac{\frac{1}{\lambda^4} \frac{1 }{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda k_B T}}-1}}
{\int_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{\lambda^{\prime^4}} \frac{1 }{e^{\frac{hc}{\lambda^\prime k_B T}}-1} d\lambda^\prime}
\end{eqnarray}

Any thoughts on whether this is right?

Peter.

Last edited:
Likes Charles Link
Science news on Phys.org
That is almost correct. The probability that the wavelength ## \lambda ## obeys ## \lambda_1 < \lambda \leq \lambda_1 +\Delta \lambda ## is given by ## Prob(\lambda_1) \Delta \lambda ## for small ## \Delta \lambda ##, and where ## Prob(\lambda) ## is as you defined it above.

Related to Photon wavelength probability distribution for blackbody

1. What is a blackbody radiation?

A blackbody is an idealized object that absorbs all radiation that falls on it and emits radiation according to its temperature. It is often used as a theoretical model for understanding the behavior of real objects.

2. Why is the photon wavelength probability distribution important for blackbody radiation?

The photon wavelength probability distribution describes the likelihood of a photon having a certain wavelength at a given temperature. This distribution is important because it allows scientists to predict the amount and type of radiation emitted by a blackbody at different temperatures, which has practical applications in fields such as astrophysics and thermodynamics.

3. How is the photon wavelength probability distribution for blackbody radiation calculated?

The photon wavelength probability distribution is calculated using Planck's law, which describes the relationship between the wavelength of a photon and its energy at a given temperature. The formula is λ_max = b/T, where λ_max is the wavelength of the most probable photon, b is a constant known as Wien's displacement constant, and T is the temperature of the blackbody in Kelvin.

4. What is the significance of the peak of the photon wavelength probability distribution?

The peak of the distribution represents the wavelength at which the most number of photons are emitted by the blackbody. This wavelength is known as the peak wavelength or the most probable wavelength. It is directly proportional to the temperature of the blackbody, meaning that as the temperature increases, the peak wavelength shifts towards shorter wavelengths.

5. Can the photon wavelength probability distribution be applied to objects other than blackbodies?

While the photon wavelength probability distribution is most commonly used for blackbody radiation, it can also be applied to other objects that emit thermal radiation, such as stars or gas clouds. However, for non-blackbody objects, the distribution may be affected by factors such as the object's composition and surface properties.