Statistics: Confidence Intervals

In summary, the problem is to find the margin of error for a given confidence interval (c), sample standard deviation (s), and number of objects (n). The formula for the margin of error is E= (zc s) / n^.5, and the corresponding zc value for c=0.65 is 0.93. This can be found on the Level of Confidence Chart, where the zc value for c=0.65 is not present. One way to determine the zc value is through numerical integration of the normal distribution's pdf, or by using the error function.
Phrynichos
The problem in question is as follows:

Find themargin of error for the given values of c, s, and n. where c is the confidence interval, s is the sample standard deviation and n is the number of objects.

c=0.65 s= 1.5 n=50

the formula: E= (zc s) / n^.5

Level of Confidence Chart

c ......zc

As you can see, the zc value for c=.65 is not present on the chart. I don't know how to proceed to solve the problem by finding the corresponding zc for when c=.65. if anyone could show me, that would be appreciated.
thankx

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]z_{c}=0.93[/tex] for [tex]c=0.65[/tex]. Easy to find on your table for the Standard Normal Distribution.

Hey LearnFrench,

How do they determine the 0.93 statistic in the first place? Assuming I have no life, how could I derive a table on my own?

Thanks,
HF08

Numerical integration of the normal distribution's pdf would probably be the easiest way. The more traditional but also more complex way would start with the error function.

1. What is a confidence interval in statistics?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to include the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is used to estimate the population mean or proportion based on a sample of data.

2. How is confidence level related to confidence interval?

The confidence level is the probability that the true population parameter falls within the confidence interval. For example, a 95% confidence interval means that there is a 95% chance that the true population parameter falls within the interval.

3. How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is calculated using the sample mean, standard deviation, sample size, and a critical value from a t-distribution or z-distribution. The formula is: sample mean ± (critical value * standard error).

4. What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided confidence interval?

A one-sided confidence interval only considers one tail of the distribution, either the upper or lower tail. This is used when the researcher is only interested in a specific direction of the parameter. A two-sided confidence interval takes into account both tails of the distribution and is used when the researcher is interested in a range of possible values for the parameter.

5. What factors can affect the width of a confidence interval?

The width of a confidence interval can be affected by the sample size, the variability of the data, and the chosen confidence level. A larger sample size and lower variability will result in a narrower confidence interval, while a higher confidence level will result in a wider interval.