How to Sum a Function with a Free Parameter in R?

• Thread starter aymer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation is about using R to sum a function with a free parameter. The individual asks for help with a specific command they used and mentions encountering an issue when plotting the sum. They clarify that they are using the statistical software R.
aymer
Hey everyone,

This is for someone who has used R. Please tell me how can we sum a function with a free parameter in R.
I used the normal command f=function(n) sum(body of function containing n)
it does not show any warnings till here, but when I plot this sum vs n (which i now define as a sequence, n=seq(-1.2,0.8)), it shows that the two quantities have differing lengths.

How can this be if my sum is a function of n?
Did I define the sum incorrectly?

Please help

Physics news on Phys.org
You talk about the "command" "f=function(n) sum(body of function containing n)" so apparently you are using some computer algebra system. But we cannot help you without know which system (Maple, Mathematica, ...) you are using!

Hi there,
Thanx for the response.
I am using the statistical software R

1. What is R and why is it commonly used for statistics?

R is a programming language and software environment used for statistical computing and graphics. It is popular among statisticians and data scientists because it offers a wide range of statistical and graphical techniques and is highly customizable for data analysis and visualization.

2. How do I import data into R for analysis?

R offers various functions for importing data from different sources, such as CSV, Excel, and databases. The most commonly used function is "read.csv" for importing data from a CSV file. You can also use the "read.table" function for importing data from a text file or "read_excel" function for importing data from an Excel file.

3. What is the difference between a data frame and a matrix in R?

A data frame is a two-dimensional data structure in R, similar to a table, where each column can have a different data type. On the other hand, a matrix is a two-dimensional data structure where all columns have the same data type. Data frames are commonly used for storing and manipulating data, while matrices are used for mathematical operations.

4. What are some common statistical functions in R?

R offers a wide range of statistical functions for data analysis, including descriptive statistics (mean, median, standard deviation), inferential statistics (t-tests, ANOVA, regression), and data visualization (histograms, scatter plots, bar charts). You can also find more advanced functions for time series analysis, survival analysis, and machine learning in R.

5. Can I create interactive visualizations in R?

Yes, you can create interactive visualizations in R using packages like ggplot2, plotly, and shiny. These packages allow you to create interactive charts, maps, and dashboards that can be customized and shared with others. You can also embed these visualizations in web applications or presentations for a more engaging data analysis experience.