How do I calculate the value of K using Tchebycheff's theorem for this data?

• Thread starter masterchiefo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, the conversation is about finding the value of K using the Tchebycheff theorem and an 89% confidence interval. The person is unsure of how to calculate K and is asking for help. They only have the data provided and are not familiar with Tchebycheff's theorem. The expert suggests looking up the theorem and explains how it can be used to find K.
masterchiefo
Member warned about posting with no effort

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I have a one number stat:

Xi

Tchebycheff :
It ask me to find the value of K.

Interval of confidence: 89%

I know 1-1/k2
I have no idea how to calculate the value of K.
Do I have to somehow use the interval of confidence?

I checked my book and notes and there is nothing stating how to calculate K.
I just need to know the formula. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
masterchiefo said:

Homework Statement

Hello all,

I have a one number stat:

Xi

Tchebycheff :
It ask me to find the value of K.

I know 1-1/k2
I have no idea how to calculate the value of K.
Do I have to somehow use the interval of confidence?

I checked my book and notes and there is nothing stating how to calculate K.
I just need to know the formula. Thanks.

(1) Your question makes no sense. 89% confidence interval for what? What do you mean by K?
(2) You are required to show your work before getting any help.

Ray Vickson said:
(1) Your question makes no sense. 89% confidence interval for what? What do you mean by K?
(2) You are required to show your work before getting any help.
This is all I have, no other info from teacher.
trust me I would love to show any work...but...I have no idea what is K. or what is the relation with 89% confidence interval. it probably have no relation and its just there to mess with my head.

All I have is this on my paper:
Fill the blank:

Xi

Tchebycheff :
K=

You titled this "Tychebycheff". Are you saying you do not know what Tchebycheff's theorem is? If so did you try looking it up?

Tchebycheff's theorem says that if X is a random variable with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex] then the probability that [itex]|x- \mu|\ge k\sigma[/itex] is less than or equal to [itex]1/k^2[/itex]. What are the mean and standard deviation for this data? What are the upper and lower numbers such that 89% of the data is closer to the mean than those?

What is Tchebycheff's theorem and how is it used in statistics?

Tchebycheff's theorem, also known as the Chebyshev inequality, is a fundamental theorem in statistics that provides a way to estimate the proportion of observations that fall within a certain number of standard deviations from the mean. It is used to determine the minimum proportion of data that falls within a certain distance from the mean, regardless of the shape of the distribution. This is useful in situations where the data is not normally distributed and other methods, such as the empirical rule, cannot be applied.

How is Tchebycheff's theorem related to the Central Limit Theorem?

Tchebycheff's theorem is closely related to the Central Limit Theorem, which states that the sum of a large number of independent random variables will follow a normal distribution regardless of the distribution of the individual variables. Tchebycheff's theorem provides a more general approach to estimating the proportion of data within a certain distance from the mean, whereas the Central Limit Theorem specifically applies to the normal distribution.

Can Tchebycheff's theorem be used for any type of data?

Yes, Tchebycheff's theorem can be applied to any type of data, regardless of the distribution. This is because it is based on the standard deviation, which is a measure of the spread of data from the mean. However, it is most useful when dealing with data that is not normally distributed, as other methods such as the empirical rule cannot be applied in these cases.

What is the difference between Tchebycheff's theorem and the empirical rule?

Tchebycheff's theorem and the empirical rule are both methods for estimating the proportion of data within a certain distance from the mean. However, Tchebycheff's theorem provides a more conservative estimate, as it can be used for any type of data, while the empirical rule only applies to data that follows a normal distribution. Additionally, Tchebycheff's theorem gives a minimum proportion, whereas the empirical rule gives an approximate proportion based on the standard deviation.

Are there any limitations to Tchebycheff's theorem?

While Tchebycheff's theorem is a useful tool for estimating the proportion of data within a certain distance from the mean, it has some limitations. It can only provide a minimum proportion, so it may be overly conservative in some cases. Additionally, it assumes that the data is independent and identically distributed, which may not always be the case. Finally, it does not provide any information about the shape of the distribution, so it may not be the best method to use when the shape of the data is of interest.