1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Statistics vs computer science

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    i have read course descriptions for both, but i want to hear honest opinions from people who actually are in, or have finished, either program.
    what is it like? i know they're both heavy on mathematics and that is fine because i like mathematics.
    im currently learning java whenever i get spare time, and it is quiet interesting i have to say, but i also know that computer science is not all about coding.
    is there any other major that might be suitable for a person who likes physics and mathematics beside engineering?
    my primary option for university application is engineering, but im just not sure that my grades are high enough to get me into the engineering school.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2
    Have you looked into computational science? It uses tools from math, computer science, and physical sciences to solve and model problems. Some schools call it scientific computing. There are also degrees in things like computation physics, computational mathematics, computational biology, etc. Do a Google search for it.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    im afraid that the only "computational" program the university i applied to has is computational media design

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook