1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady state temperature in a hollow cylinder

1. Apr 6, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Using cylindrical coordinates rho,phi, and z, let u([rho,phi) denote steady temperatures in a long hollow cylinder a leq rho leq b, -infinity < z < infinity when the temperatures on the inner surface rho= a are f(phi) and the temperature of the outer surface rho = b is zero.

Derive the temperature formula u(rho,phi) = A_{0}(ln b - ln rho)/(ln b - ln a) + summation n = 1 to infinity (a/rho)^n (b^(2n)- rho^(2n))/(b^(2n)- a^(2n)) (A_{n}cos(n*phi) + B_{n}sin(n*phi), where A_{0}, A_{n}, and B_{n} are the standard Fourier coefficients

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've done plenty of boundary value problems for solid cylinders, but never for a hollow one. My textbook offers no examples of hollow cylinders- the only place it appears in the book at all is this homework problem. I can't seem to get beyond setting up the Cauchy-Euler equation, Rho^2R"(rho) + rhoR'(rho) - lambda*R(rho) and the Sturm-Liouville problem Phi"(phi) + lamda*Phi(phi) + 0 with the periodic boundary conditions Phi(-pi) = Phi(pi) and Phi'(-pi) = Phi'(pi).

I think the eigenvalues are the usual ones: lambda_{0} = 0 and lambda_{n} = n^2. That's all the farther I've gotten

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?