1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steady state temperature of wafers?

1. Feb 23, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 50mm wafer, 2mm thick is implanted with Boron at 100keV and 1mA. Considering only conductive cooling, given that thermal resistance is 10K/W, to room temperature of 25oC, determine the steady state wafer temperature and also the time constant for heating

2. Relevant equations

I know that Net Q = CdT/dt = Qin - ( T - To) / thermal resistance.

3. The attempt at a solution

I can determine Qin by using 1ev = 1.602 X 10^-19 J. But I am stuck on how to proceed. Could someone please help?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2009 #2

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Okay, how many Boron atoms are impinging on the wafer every second? How much energy do they (collectively) carry?

4. Feb 23, 2009 #3
    The boron atoms would collectively carry 100 X 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J since 1 keV carries 1.602 X 10 ^ -19 J

How many atoms impinging per second is not given, is this something I can calculate from the information that has been provided in the question? If yes, what equation is required?

Thanks.

5. Feb 23, 2009 #4

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

No, each boron atom carries 100 x 1.602E-19 J. As to the number, here's a hint: why do they tell you the implant current?

6. Feb 23, 2009 #5
    I think I am stalled, really stalled on this one! The only other piece of information that describes / models this physical situation would be:

T = To + (Tf - To) e ^(-t/tau).

I know that I am supposed to obtain Tf as the steady state wafer temperature and tau as the time heating constant. I am blocked, please help!

7. Feb 23, 2009 #6

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook