What are some engaging mathematics topics for a STEM Fair presentation?

In summary, Jonathan is seeking ideas to present at his college's STEM Fair. He has a background in mathematics, including Differential Equations and Discrete Math. He enjoyed Linear Algebra the most and is interested in Number Theory and Geometry. He has two options for presenting: a poster or oral presentation. He thinks most people would fall asleep if he tried to present on a more complex topic like pandemics. However, he is excited about the potential for the Predator-Prey-Equations to be a very exciting presentation. He plans on talking about real animals and locations and drawing interesting vector fields. He also plans to talk about recent pandemics, such as Zika. This summary was provided by Jonathan.
NotGauss
Hello all, hope all is well.
I come seeking ideas to present at my college's STEM Fair coming up in a few months. To give you idea of my mathematical background, I am currently taking Differential Equations(ODE) and Discrete Math. I have completed Calc I,II, Vector Calculus and Linear Algebra. Of those courses I have completed I enjoyed Linear Algebra the most and I have an personal interest in Number Theory and Geometry.
I have the option to present with a poster or oral presentation but feeling oral would work with some PowerPoint to allow people to visualize the concepts.

I appreciate your time and help,
Jonathan

P.S. GO PANTHERS!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You know that mathematics can appear boring, even on ppt?
Do you have any ideas already? I mean the spread between almost trivial results, such as the infinity of the number of primes, to a proof that ##\pi## is transcendental. It's not easy to pick something right of the air.

P.S.: GO Broncos!

You could use Beamer instead of PowerPoint. It looks a lot better. However, I use slides only for graphics and numerical results. Proofs (even when they are really small) seem to go best on the blackboard.

Likes fresh_42
Originally, I thought about using DEs to explain some phenomena in other sciences, but I think most people would fall asleep five minutes in. One of my professors recommended presenting on Graph Theory and using the Seven Bridges Problem. I like the idea and must everybody will be able to follow. With Graph Theory I am trying to think of a larger scale example that I can complete to present also, to show how it can scale with more complex problems.

Jonathan Kyle said:
Originally, I thought about using DEs to explain some phenomena in other sciences, but I think most people would fall asleep five minutes in.
I don't have the same opinion here. (Just as with the other thing ...)

I think the Predator-Prey-Equations can be very exciting: just speak of real animals and locations. My professor did it with reindeer, wolves and snow rabbits in Newfoundland. And he drew interesting vector fields, too.

And considering, e.g. the actual Zika outbreak, or Sars, Ebola or swine flue in the past, pandemics can be very interesting as well.
For this search for SIR models and pandemic diseases.

Likes S.G. Janssens
Fresh, thanks for the idea about Zika outbreak, the crowd might actually stay awake!

1. What are some ideas for a math-related project for a STEM fair?

Some ideas for a math-related project for a STEM fair could include creating a mathematical model to solve a real-world problem, exploring the concept of fractals and their applications, analyzing the patterns and trends in data sets, or designing a game that incorporates mathematical concepts.

2. How can I make my math project stand out at the STEM fair?

To make your math project stand out at the STEM fair, consider choosing a unique or innovative topic, incorporating hands-on experiments or demonstrations, using creative visuals or technology, and clearly explaining the real-world applications or significance of your project.

3. What are some math experiments that can be easily done at home for a STEM fair?

Some math experiments that can be easily done at home for a STEM fair include measuring the angles of different shapes and comparing them, creating a probability game using a deck of cards, conducting a survey and analyzing the data, or exploring geometric shapes and their properties using household items.

4. How can I involve teamwork in my math project for the STEM fair?

Teamwork can be incorporated into a math project for the STEM fair by collaborating with classmates or friends to brainstorm ideas, divide tasks and responsibilities, and work together to solve complex problems. You could also consider involving students from different grade levels or schools to foster a sense of collaboration and diversity.

5. Is it necessary to have a background in advanced math to participate in a STEM fair?

No, it is not necessary to have a background in advanced math to participate in a STEM fair. There are many math projects that can be tailored to different levels and abilities, and even simple experiments or games can showcase important mathematical concepts and skills. The key is to choose a project that you are interested in and to put in effort and creativity to make it successful.