Steps to find integral of 1/(x^2(x+1)(x-2)

• Thread starter naoufelabs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses steps for finding the integral primitive of a function with a complicated denominator. The speaker is confused about the role of x^2 and x^3 in the denominator and how to decompose the function into simpler fractions. The conversation also includes a suggestion to check for linear independence and a reminder that the speaker's name is not Kurt Lewin.
naoufelabs
Hello all,

Please I want to know the steps to find the integral primitive of this function:
∫1/[(x2)*(x+1)*(x-2)] dx.

I know the result : 1/4 ln(x) - 1/3 ln(x+1) + 1/12 ln(x-2) + 1/2x

The steps for normal function like 1/[x*(x+1)*(x-2)] were like : a/x + b/x+1 + c/x-2.
My problem is that I'm confused about (x2), I see at the end like a derivative of x2.
Also if we have x3, I mean (∫1/[(x3)*(x+1)*(x-2)] dx.) we will have like a + b + c + d + e. ==>

-3/8 ln(x) +1/4x2 + 1/3 ln(x+1) + 1/24 ln(x-2) - 1/4x

Thank you for any help about this primitive.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
(If this homework, it's wrongly placed. There's a special section on HW).

You may want to check if the 3 factors in the common denominator are linearly independent. Then you should assume a decomposition into 3 terms, each of them having one factor of the product in the denominator and a polynomial of one degree less in the numerator of each fraction.

So

[tex] \frac{Ax+B}{x^2} [/tex]

is your first fraction in the sum of 3 and its integral is trivial, once you find out who A and B are numerically.

P.S. My name's not Kurt Lewin, there are just words attributed to him which I like and kept as a signature here. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you very much Mr. Kurt Lewin

1. What is the first step to find the integral of 1/(x^2(x+1)(x-2)?

The first step is to factor the denominator of the fraction into its individual terms.

2. Why is it important to factor the denominator?

Factoring the denominator allows us to break down the fraction into smaller, simpler fractions that are easier to integrate.

3. What is the next step after factoring the denominator?

The next step is to use the partial fractions method to rewrite the fraction in terms of its individual terms.

4. How do you determine the coefficients in the partial fractions method?

To determine the coefficients, we set up a system of equations by equating the original fraction to the rewritten partial fractions and solve for the unknown coefficients.

5. What is the final step to finding the integral of 1/(x^2(x+1)(x-2) ?

The final step is to integrate each partial fraction and combine the results to get the final answer.