1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Steps to find integral of 1/(x^2(x+1)(x-2)

1. Sep 25, 2012 #1
    Hello all,

Please I want to know the steps to find the integral primitive of this function:
    ∫1/[(x2)*(x+1)*(x-2)] dx.

I know the result : 1/4 ln(x) - 1/3 ln(x+1) + 1/12 ln(x-2) + 1/2x

The steps for normal function like 1/[x*(x+1)*(x-2)] were like : a/x + b/x+1 + c/x-2.
    My problem is that I'm confused about (x2), I see at the end like a derivative of x2.
    Also if we have x3, I mean (∫1/[(x3)*(x+1)*(x-2)] dx.) we will have like a + b + c + d + e. ==>

-3/8 ln(x) +1/4x2 + 1/3 ln(x+1) + 1/24 ln(x-2) - 1/4x

Thank you for any help about this primitive.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2012 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(If this homework, it's wrongly placed. There's a special section on HW).

You may want to check if the 3 factors in the common denominator are linearly independent. Then you should assume a decomposition into 3 terms, each of them having one factor of the product in the denominator and a polynomial of one degree less in the numerator of each fraction.

So

[tex] \frac{Ax+B}{x^2} [/tex]

is your first fraction in the sum of 3 and its integral is trivial, once you find out who A and B are numerically.

P.S. My name's not Kurt Lewin, there are just words attributed to him which I like and kept as a signature here. :smile:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. Sep 25, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much Mr. Kurt Lewin

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook