1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Stiffness of column when fixed versus pin fixed

1. Aug 2, 2012 #1
    Guys when i study earthquake , they told me that the column stiffness is 12EI/L3 if column is fixed -fixed and 3EI/L3 if column is pin -fixed, so how they get this, i try to study stiffness Matrix and it gives you big matrix for frames not Only one factor like 12EI/L3
    please explain

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: Stiffness

They are not talking about the stiffness of the joints, just the stiffness of the member framing into the joint with a lateral load is applied at the joint. If both ends are fixed at the joints (translation but no relative rotation), K = 12EI/L^3, which is the inverse of its end deflection for a fixed-guided beam subject to point load at the joint, and if it's fixed pinned, then K = 3EI/L^3, the inverse of the deflection of a cantilever with a point load at joint

4. Aug 2, 2012 #3

Thank you very much. i didnt get it ,could uou provide me with something to read , in order to understand it.Please

5. Aug 2, 2012 #4

What do you mean by the inverse of the deflection of a cantilever with a point load at joint?? and how it is equivelent please expalin

6. Aug 2, 2012 #5

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The deflection of a cantilever with a point load F at the free end is FL^3/3EI. It's stiffness, K, or spring constant if you will, per Hooke's Law F=kx, is

F=kx

k = F/x
    k = F/(FL^3/3EI)
    k = 3EI/L^3
    which is the inverse of the deflection under a unit load.
    You are asking why, I think, you use the cantilever stiffness for a fixed pinned column in a frame with a load applied at the joint. That's because the joint translates, and the deflected sahpe is equivalent to the cantilever's deflected shape. For the fixed-fixed case with joint translation, the stiffness is equivalent to that of a beam fixed at one end and free to translate but not rotate at the other, in which case K = 12EI/L^3, which youcan find in beam tables.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook